Respected Contributor

Re: LILY OF THE VALLEY CAME TODAY...

@Love my grandkids ...thats so nice, sweet little song.

Esteemed Contributor

Please update us on how your lilies grow.  Where did you get them?  I planted lily of the valley once -- cuttings from a friend -- and they didn't survive.  I was sooo disappointed.  I haven't tried to grow them since, and I love them.

Gosh, I remember that song, @Love my grandkids.  Thanks for that long-lost memory.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@tototwo ...Home Depot...their nursery is Springhill.  You can also order directly from the nursery, but they charge shipping, I think.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

I had to order it online.   It came packed in loose soil.  I watched some videos on how to plant, so I did the best I could.   It was a tangled ball of fragile roots, and one pip broke off as I tried to handle it.  I soaked it first and gently placed it in a large pot.  I lightly covered the pips with soil near the surface.   It's under a tree, so will get shade and some morning sun....we'll see how it goes.

@DazlinDon't worry, it's hard to kill them.  I love them, but they are very invasive.  Love their smell. Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

I had to order it online.   It came packed in loose soil.  I watched some videos on how to plant, so I did the best I could.   It was a tangled ball of fragile roots, and one pip broke off as I tried to handle it.  I soaked it first and gently placed it in a large pot.  I lightly covered the pips with soil near the surface.   It's under a tree, so will get shade and some morning sun....we'll see how it goes.

@Dazlin   My Mother's favorite flower.  I understand that they spread very well.

Respected Contributor

I Love Lily of the Valley.  They are so dainty, and small and tough once established,  Beautiful little white bells with a lovely perfume.  Just be careful around them as they are toxic. 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin I never planted lilies of the valley myself. I live in the south and I never thought they'd do well here. Too hot. The gardenia I had was a gift from my MIL that she had started from her plants, but I had no success with it. I wish I had. I would visit her and we would count the numerous blossoms on her plants. LOL

ETA I too have a maltese. I'm so sorry you lost yours

Respected Contributor

@queendiva , where did you order the lily of the valley pips from?  Let me know what you think when they arrive.   What zone are you in?

Respected Contributor

@KLm , I got you mixed up with another poster that ordered the pips.   Glad to hear you have a Maltese 😍.  I love them...Teaspoon was my 2nd Maltese.   She lived 16 yrs 8 mos.

Honored Contributor

I hope they grow well for you!  We used to have a lot of these back at my old childhood home and I loved them so much.  The smell is incredible!  I would like to have some where I live now but there is not much good shade or place to plant them.  They are truly lovely though.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin