Valued Contributor

Koi pond cooling down.. give me strength...

[ Edited ]

It is that time at the  koi ponds, my big 21 , 20lb koi have stopped food today, they still want to eat but it is time to settle in. I am  a wuss, I can't even go over to them, their little mouths looking for food..I look from inside, I know it is what needs to be , but I am a whimp.    Just a little strength need here,  long winter ahead... So here I pray from inside the window, a prayer, I have said  lfor over 20 years, to watch over my little friends,that we will see many springs together.One should think it would be  familiar, it isnt...So as I say sweet sleep my heart is there in the cold days ahead ..I hope they dream of our times together..Rest sweet ones until we are together again, mommy keeps watch... MaryAnne

Trusted Contributor

Re: Koi pond cooling down.. give me strength...

So do they hibernate? Sorta? Kinda?

I love koi!

Regular Contributor

Wow! I learned something. So they sort sleep for the cold weather? I never thought about that before!

Valued Contributor

They go into a semi hibernation , all lined up like sardines,swaying with the water,the water is heated but not enough to keep them active..I love mine ,they are all named and loved ,they are bigger than my little shihtzu!Thank you for loving these beautiful creatures, like a painting come to life!koi hugs to you, MaryAnne 

Honored Contributor

Do you have to stop feeding them at this point, otherwise they won't go into semi-hibernation mode and would be vulnerable when it gets much colder?

Valued Contributor

@estaw2000, ,  life is so full of incredible  little things!I  I enjoy discovering little secrets in the hidden nature too...Hugs,MaryAnne 

Valued Contributor

@ValuSkr, there digestive system must be empty before they go into the semi hibernation state, it can be disasterous with food in the stomach.In that state  the food will rot and they can die..So willpower is a must, after 4 nights below 40 it is time to stop.Our nights have been 30sand days 70 ... so it is really time!so interesting  right?Hugs , MaryAnne 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Still keeper of the koi

Thank you for your wonderful post and teaching me something I didn’t know.

We have a glorious place here in town where we buy our fountains and outdoor items, rainchains, ceramics, etc.  They have a huge, two level koi pond with a waterfall.

This place is like a fantasy garden. Sometimes I just go in there to talk to the koi. 

This is a partial view of the bottom part of the pond. Well actually you can see the top as well.

AD0D41AA-29AC-4083-8148-40C23BBC3BD4.jpeg

More shots of the store. 

6C1DE6DD-6162-4C6F-A424-54E623FBF6C0.jpeg

55BB8E1D-0C6A-4BE9-9CA9-E9DA84CB0E01.jpeg

Valued Contributor

@BirdieGal, you get to know their personalities, I often will be saying hey, hey where's mommy's pond kids....I hope someday you get to raise some, they will mesmerize you and give your life  color and light..I always say  they are my living art!thanks for sharing, so nice, hugs,MaryAnne 

Trusted Contributor

@Still keeper of the koi

Well I have fur kids, feathered kids and one small fin kid. Would love to add koi to the brood!