Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I have two ,they are 6 yrs ,old ,the yellow one was so pretty last years, this year the some of the stems are not getting leaves on them, what might be the problem?

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Cut it way down.  I thought one of mine was dead but it's growing nicely now.

Super Contributor

Could it be deer?  my deer love roses.

Honored Contributor

@aoldgirl wrote:

Could it be deer?  my deer love roses.

It could be,we have deer all over .

Honored Contributor

Where are leaves missing? Outside of plant or inside?

Assume lack of sunlight hitting interior of shrub causing no leaves, assume an animal eating leaves if exterior. 

Got a photo?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

Where are leaves missing? Outside of plant or inside?

Assume lack of sunlight hitting interior of shrub causing no leaves, assume an animal eating leaves if exterior. 

Got a photo?

No, the stems just do not have leaves on them ,not all but many, i cut it way back today ,so we will see.

Esteemed Contributor

They are pretty hard to kill...so I am thinking the deer are nibbling on them...

Super Contributor

I'm not saying your roses have this, I'm just letting you know my experience with knockout roses.

I had 17 knockout roses throughout my yard. They did fabulous for the last 8 years I have had them.  They are so easy and carefree and I loved how beautiful they were in my yard.

Last year I noticed something strange about the growth on them and after much research, I found out they had a virus called rosette disease.  They had reddish, new growth with stunted leaves, flower buds that never opened but dried up, and the stems were covered with thorns that were very close together.  Google it for pics.  It can spread from plant to plant.

That left me with little options. I ended up pulling all the ones I saw any sign of disease on the plant.  Now I have approx. 8 knockouts left and am watching them for any further signs of illness.

What I understand is that there is no easy fix or cure for this disease yet.  That was one of my biggest attractions to the knockouts-that they were easy and disease resistant.  

Makes me sad.  When I walk around town, I see roses with the same symptoms and I recognize it immediately.

I don't know if this is a regional issue or what.  I had never heard of it before.  I live in the midwest.

Honored Contributor

Rose rosette disease (RRD) has been seen all over the US. Parts of Texas with their rose industry have been affected by it.

What you saw on your roses @grandma_2_2 were the ‘witches broom’ growth & the hyperprickles seen on the canes.

No cure for this virus & it affects wild roses & well as the cultivated ones. 

Mites supposedly spread from the affected diseased wild roses to the cultivated ones to spread RRD. 

The entire rose must be removed from the ground (all the roots) & you can replant back roses in the same spots provided all the roots from the diseased roses are removed.

I lost a Double Knockout & a Hot Cocoa to this disease. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

The leaves on my knock out roses turn white. This is the third year this is happening.