Honored Contributor

Knock Out Roses- prune? Cut down? Leave alone?

Thanks to you “experts”, I’m thrilled to have a yard full of Knockout Roses, that have bloomed all summer long.

What should I do to encourage them to help them live through the winter, and grow back and flourish next spring?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Knock Out Roses- prune? Cut down? Leave alone?

Suggest you Google for good information.  I just did - read a couple of short articles about knock out roses.  I always find my answers to questions there.  Apparently your rose is mostly careful except for a little shaping and winter cut back.  Happy Spring w/roses

Esteemed Contributor

When Phillip worked for Cottage Farms and sold knockout roses on QVC, he always said they were the easiest to grow. You don't have to do anything to them unless you want to! If you want to trim them, do so after the last freeze. They continue to put new buds on every 5-6 weeks so whenever you may decide to trim them, you won't hurt them. He always said you couldn't hurt them.

Sounds like it would be trim to shape if needed. Otherwise, leave them alone and enjoy like any other periennial.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Just google it.

Honored Contributor

For heaven's sake, don't prune or fertilize them now.  That should be done next spring.  Both encourage new growth which if done now, will freeze with vthe first frost.  There's a wealth of rose info online....suggest you read it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Knock-outs are pretty indestructible, that's why they're used so often in commercial settings - e.g. gas stations, shopping plazas, etc.  I think they'd endure whatever was done to them. 

Trusted Contributor

I’ve trimmed my knockouts several times a year and they’ve always done well! 

Super Contributor

In my experience, they will look overgrown and raggedy looking if you don't cut them back.  When I lived in Maryland, I cut them back to about 1 foot off the ground in the spring, fed them and they re-grew beautifully and were nice and fresh looking. 

Now in Florida, I cut mine back last month, again 1 foot off the ground, they are now re-leafing and lookin beautiful, healthy and neat looking.. 

Periodic feedings are also beneficial.

Trusted Contributor

On Phillips Facebook he says do nonething but deadhead now. Heavy pruning done in the spring at the sign of new growth. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

For heaven's sake, don't prune or fertilize them now.  That should be done next spring.  Both encourage new growth which if done now, will freeze with vthe first frost.  There's a wealth of rose info online....suggest you read it.

It depends on where you live whether to prune or not to prune. If in warmer climes — Hardiness zone 8 & up you can prune now. 

Basic Rules of Caring for Roses:

1) Never more than a third to prune away

2) Prune out of scale or long canes so they won’t whip around in the winter winds. 

3) Any dead, broken or crossing canes can be pruned anytime before winter & during the growing season.

4) No fertilizer now as that encourages new tender growth which could freeze before it can harden off.

I’m pruning back now all my roses in preparation for winter. 

I have a Double Knockout that is about 6’ high. I intend to prune it back to about 4’.

In the Spring in say early Spring, you can prune your Knockouts to about 2’ high! Don’t be shy as Knockouts bloom on their tips & by Summer’s end they will be twice to 3X their size as it was in early Spring. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼