Honored Contributor

Does anyone have experience gardening in a Kiddie Pool?  I have one that I'd like to plant some herbs, radishes and flowers but unsure how to proceed.

Respected Contributor

I just did an internet search and a bunch of articles and videos came up. 

Looks fun, good luck!

Respected Contributor

As a former container gardener, I think the idea is brilliant!

I assume you'd have to drill some holes in the bottom of the kiddie pool for drainage, of course

Denise
Honored Contributor

I'm no expert, but be sure you get one deep enough.

You need at least 14" deep.

I use buckets and a raised container but my next adventure will be with a small fire ring.  I found this picture on the internet.   

fire ring garden.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

I would just make holes in the bottom and plant whatever you’d like.  I had this Elephant ear plant on the ground but kept getting mowed over so I got this little tub at Dollar General for $10, made holes and they’ve been growing really well. 

1E99C55C-45D7-4C74-B379-76C03883C3B4.jpeg

Super Contributor

I have a Kiddie Pool Garden on my deck. I'm rusty, but will try to insert image. 

This is when I first got it all set up. I have cherry tomatoes and bush cukes in grow bags.

Kiddie Pool Garden01 1.jpg

Today.....It grew like crazy and the squirrels wanted to get into it, so I got some netting to cover it. I uncover it during the day. It's keeping the squirrels out so far, but outgrowing my rig again....LOL

Kiddie Pool Garden.jpg

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Respected Contributor

Those look really nice, I like the idea. 

My garden is so big that I'm having a hard time figuring out how to cover it. The chicken wire is 3 ft but the tomatoes are 6 ft and the corn is getting up there too. I had bought enough wire to cover the top but that won't work now. 

any suggestions? So far nothing is bothering the veggies but the tomatoes haven't turned red yet.

garden 6-20-2020 002.JPG

it is taller now...

Super Contributor

@luvmyteddy4 I like your garden. I wish I could have a larger one like that down on my property. We tried several times, but rabbits and mainly squirrels just will not stay out. I tired every remedy out there. 

If you don't have critters getting into it, I wouldn't worry about covering it. I only cover mine to keep the squirrels out. 

If you do decide to cover it, I recommend a pond netting, like for koi ponds. I found it reasonably priced on amazon. It's stretchy and easy to handle. The squirrels seem to stay off it better than the other kind I had.

Still Tabbycat ~~ Less is More ~~
Honored Contributor

About 10 years ago, the power company sprayed the right of way behind us, and within months we lost what we thought were 2 healthy dogs to cancer.   That prompted our decision to do no more digging and planting in the ground.  

My husband now does container gardening, using kiddie pools and the styrofoam coolers QVC ships our potstickers and wings in.   He uses the pitchfork to poke multiple holes in the containers, adds a thin layer of gravel before adding 2 types of bagged soil.  

He is growing several varieties of tomatoes, squash, peppers and cucumbers.   We always have all we need to eat on, and would not go back to a bigger garden in the ground.   

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

About 10 years ago, the power company sprayed the right of way behind us, and within months we lost what we thought were 2 healthy dogs to cancer.   That prompted our decision to do no more digging and planting in the ground.  

My husband now does container gardening, using kiddie pools and the styrofoam coolers QVC ships our potstickers and wings in.   He uses the pitchfork to poke multiple holes in the containers, adds a thin layer of gravel before adding 2 types of bagged soil.  

He is growing several varieties of tomatoes, squash, peppers and cucumbers.   We always have all we need to eat on, and would not go back to a bigger garden in the ground.   

Sounds wonderful, I'd love to see some pictures if you are comfortable sharing them.........