Esteemed Contributor

Keep Your Bird Bath Full and Fresh

[ Edited ]

It's HOT, HOT, HOT in our part of the country, and in much of the rest of the country. Please keep refreshing your bird bath on a daily basis. Any number of species rely on the fresh water we provide. When civilization moves in, natural habitats disappear. In the last 15 minutes a number of birds have visited, as well as a squirrel and benificial flying insects. The robins are too good at emptying the bird bath, so make sure you refil after a robin visit. But, you probably already knew that.

Honored Contributor

Re: Keep Your Bird Bath Full and Fresh

@PA Mom-mom  It's miserable here in SE Michigan.  I've refilled the bath and the bowls for the wildlife in the yard.  It was so hot there was little movement from the bird and squirrel community.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks - I was just thinking about that but got rid of my bird bath years ago because the crows were ..............washing bird baby parts in it after attacking nests.  Trying to think of what I could put out there for them.  A pail?  (too deep) -

Trusted Contributor

@PA Mom-mom ~ What a nice post, and so true!  The excessive heat advisory in our area has been extended through Sunday night.  It's brutal.  Yes, it's important to take care of our wildlife.  :-) 

Respected Contributor

Yes! I keep a brush nearby to scrub it out every few days. It’s an extra chore but I Love watching the birds fluffing their feathers while they bathe, very joyful! 💝💝

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt ~ If you have a saucer, kind of like the ones that you put underneath a clay pot that would do.  Birds prefer just a couple of inches of water to drink and splash around in.  :-)

Esteemed Contributor

@fthunt Some people just put out a Pyrex pie plate and change the water every day. It is glass, so it can be easily cleaned.

Esteemed Contributor

Indeed, @PA Mom-mom.  

I refesh mine daily, if not more than once.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@fthunt

Whenever it rains, there are shallow puddles in our driveway.....there are always birds splashing there.  

I can can go out and wet the area down with a hose or pour some water from a pitcher and they are happy.

I happen to have a leftover long oblong base from a planter that also works.  I keep a large stone in the center to anchor it down.  Use a hose to clean and refill.  Simple and easy and fun to watch 

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

@fthunt  I kept my dog Max's stainless steel bowls after he passed away nearly a decade ago. I got tired of squirrels and possums pulling themselves up on the stone birdbath and flipping the top off of the pedestal base - not because it was a pain to fix the top, because I was scared it would fall on them.

Bergan Standard Dog Bowl

I put these kinds of bowls on my patio 365 days a year.  Easy to knock the ice out and refill when it's cold and everyone gets a drink.  

Aside from the bird bath, birds drink out of the bowl.  I also have squirrels, rabbits and a groundhog that are conditioned to drink out of the bowls.  Just a thought.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise