Esteemed Contributor

Re: Keep Your Bird Bath Full and Fresh

@Bird mama Good idea! And a good way to move on while keeping your dog's memory alive!

Honored Contributor

The water needs to be changed often in this heat otherwise the water will be hot. Even ice cubes won’t cool it off for long. Thanks for the reminder.

Honored Contributor

I clean and refill my bird bath a few times a day. I can go out, no birds around it, no sooner am I done than they show back up for a drink and a splash. It's fun watching them come in, several will perch on the fence waiting their turn.
"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

I bought a black rubber hog pan from Farm & Fleet and have that on the ground in the backyard. The bird bath didn't work well because of the squirrels trying to balance on the edge and then the top would fall off onto the ground. I didn't want anything getting hurt. The hog pan works well. I fill it to the top so the bigger birds can take their baths and the little guys don't do a head stand trying to reach the water. In this kid of heat, I replace the water 3 or 4 times a day. They watch for me and hurry to the fresh, cold water. When there are a few birds sitting on the fence rail I know the water is too hot to drink. Because of the black rubber it heats up, but that helps in the winter because the outer edge will melt a bit even though it's cold. Although I do put out a stainless steel heated pan on the patio for winter. That sometimes has to be changed a couple times a day because the starlings will bathe in it even when it's only about 20 degrees. They really get the water filthy. The wildlife needs water no matter what time of year. I see some interesting creatures all year long at my water bowls.

Esteemed Contributor

@shopperqvc Wow! You really go the extra mile! You are so right about remembering that wildlife needing water in the winter too!

Esteemed Contributor

I have several in the garden and my birds appreciate it...LOL

Honored Contributor

I have 2 birdbaths, one near the tube feeders & the other under the other tree. I use a small sponge or old toothbrush to get rid of the algae. I refill daily in this heat.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for remembering our bird friends. I do refill the bird bath in our yard several times a day.  I also keep pans on the ground.  At night, the critters like raccoons, possums and skunks drink from them.  Honestly, they are just trying to stay alive like we are.  They are all God's creatures.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom     Try to keep your birdbath in the SHADE.  It does help.  The sun would make the water so hot, the birds would not want it.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom     Try to keep your birdbath in the SHADE.  It does help.  The sun would make the water so hot, the birds would not want it.

@Katcat1 That's certainly good advice, and I would do just that if it was easy to refresh and fill them at the edge of our property, where there is shade. As it is, I have to change the water twice a day, because they are in the sun near our patio (and the hose).