Honored Contributor

Re: Just Got My Gardenia Tree!

@BornToShop wrote:

@fthunt, I followed Cottage Farms instructions to the "T".  I figured that way I can get them to stand by their customer service support of "if you aren't happy then we are not happy..." policy in case it doesn't thrive.  Regardless, I am looking forward to the journey!  

@BornToShop  I think she was referring to planting in the ground, but to pot, I have never heard this.  I am in CA, and mine are in pots on my deck.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@BornToShop wrote:

I am so happy with the great condition and how healthy my new Gardenia Patio Tree is that came on Friday!  I immediately repotted; I will post pics/updates as the season goes on.

IMAG0740.jpg

M53281
Cottage Farms Scentsational Gardenia Patio Tree

@BornToShop  I bought two of these last year for my deck, and they look wonderful, produced many large flowers last year.

@mousiegirl, you made my day!  Did you follow the directions or do your own thing for where you live?  

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@BornToShop wrote:

I am so happy with the great condition and how healthy my new Gardenia Patio Tree is that came on Friday!  I immediately repotted; I will post pics/updates as the season goes on.

IMAG0740.jpg

M53281
Cottage Farms Scentsational Gardenia Patio Tree

@BornToShop  I bought two of these last year for my deck, and they look wonderful, produced many large flowers last year.

@mousiegirl, you made my day!  Did you follow the directions or do your own thing for where you live?  

@BornToShop  I have been gardening for such a long time that I knew about gardenias, so just potted them, and once they were established, fertilized with an acidic fertilizer, just happened to be Cottage Farms, but any good one will do.

When I buy very small plants online, I leave them the way they arrived for a bit, only because I am usually overwhelmed with weeding, lol, then pot them in one gallon black nursery pots until they outgrow them, then into the ground.,  We have clay soil and even with amending the soil a lot, I want to make certain that the plants have a good shot of surviving.  Most people don't go to this extent, but I love all garden work, except weeding, but it is good exercise.

Twenty years ago, I struggled with pulling an enormous weed with roots to China, lol, I won, but since then, have a damaged muscle in my left upper hip, which sometimes causes me not to be able to walk properly due to pain, but for the most part, it doesn't bother me, and I just slather SportsGel on it, which gets me through.

Last year, I planted six of Cottage Farms white sunpatients in large pots on my deck, and they grew huge and were gorgeous.  This year, I decided to plant gardenias in them, as zulily offered Cottage Farms gardenias in sets of two, so I bought three sets.  They will grow about three feet, but can be kept shorter, so will see as time passes what I will do with them.

Respected Contributor

What a difference a couple months make...!  Love my Cottage Farms Gardenia tree.  Look at the little cutie tucked in the branches, lol..  I think he likes it too!

20170626_181104.jpg

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for sharing @BornToShop!  Your tree looks really happy and so does the little critter.  🐸😊❤️

Is your gardenia tree still in a pot?  I love gardenias and have enjoyed watching your updates.  Around here the garden centers have shrubs but no gardenia trees.  Based on your success, I'd love to try a patio tree.  Hope Cottage Farms brings back more!

Esteemed Contributor

I bought mine at Sam's and I planted it on the ground, was doing really well and in March and April, lots of beautiful flowers, the heat arrived and it looks so ugly. I've trimmed the dead but here is South Texas it is just so hot. My gardenia bush is doing great in the back yard and doesn't get as much sun as the tree. 

Your tree looks beautiful, I can't wait to see it blooming

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@wildcat fan & @qvcfreak, my tree is still in the same pot & has been very high maintenance.  I have googled myself to death on these trees.  I learned they do not liked to be moved, touched & soil ph is very important. Temperature fluctuations are an issue since I live in central Fla.  I have experienced drooping leaves/buds, a couple of buds dropped off.  A solution I found is to brew a strong black 12 oz cup of coffee, then combine it with an equal amount of distilled water & corrects the drooping issue.  Bingo! Works like a charm!  If you have time, enjoy a challenge with this beautiful plant, you will have a blast with it as I am having.  I will send another update in a month or so.  Stay tuned!

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop, Question on the coffee mixture, do you pour it on the dirt? 

Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

@BornToShop, Question on the coffee mixture, do you pour it on the dirt? 

Yep!   @qvcfreak, the drooping leaves/buds perked right up a couple hours later.  I have done this twice in the last couple weeks.  I think it is a soil ph issue & your soil may be different where you live.  Again, a very finicky plant but I enjoy the challenge!  

Esteemed Contributor

I love Gardenias, but it is the one plant that I cannot grow....:-(