Respected Contributor

Re: June Blooms and Rainbows

@BirkiLady , it is like you are reading my mind about the trimming.

Is an electric trimmer the same thing as a hedge trimmer?  I have to trim a bush Miss Kim lilac bush as opposed to the standard lilac pictured above.  It is huge.  I would love to be able to use the hedge trimmer.  I have read that is not a great idea.  Would appreciate your feedback.  LM

Respected Contributor

@1Snickers @meallen616 @Nonametoday @BirkiLady @on the bay et al in case I have missed anyone...thank you for the kind words.  It is difficult to post photos here properly spacing them for ease of browsing.  Some times the edit does not take despite repeated attempts.

The rainbow was a treat indeed and did not last long.  I was lucky to get a few shots and very surprised that the iPad picked up the colours it did.  LM

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

Is an electric trimmer the same thing as a hedge trimmer?  I have to trim a bush Miss Kim lilac bush as opposed to the standard lilac pictured above.  It is huge.  I would love to be able to use the hedge trimmer.  I have read that is not a great idea.  Would appreciate your feedback.  LM

Are you the same Lady that lives near Halifax, NS? have you changed your name? I love your gardens. I have 3 Miss Kims, and they give out the greatest aroma. About the clippers, Mine are grass shears with a blade you can change to, and it trims really well, my large hedge trimmrs kind of chew things up.. I'm anxious to see what she uses too. I'm the one who sees your pictures and I have to plant one too.

Honored Contributor

@HLP wrote:

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

Are you the same Lady that lives near Halifax, NS? have you changed your name? I love your gardens. I have 3 Miss Kims, and they give out the greatest aroma. About the clippers, Mine are grass shears with a blade you can change to, and it trims really well, my large hedge trimmrs kind of chew things up.. I'm anxious to see what she uses too. I'm the one who sees your pictures and I have to plant one too.

@Lilysmom1 @HLP 

I have two Miss Kim's but they are not as prolific blooming as those in a colder zone.  I live in the southeast USA where winters are often not very cold but summers are killer hot.  I love them and appreciate the bloom and fragrance I get which is not overwhelming but delightful.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HLP , I was Satomi for a short time when I had to change my name to sign in.  Eventually I got back to my original name so, yes, you have that right.

I am thinking the hedge trimmers will mess things up too.  My bush Miss Kim is huge.  Some times I have too much luck with shrubs if there is such a thing because mine get huge.  If I have to trim by hand that will be a job with a step ladder on a hill so not looking forward to that,   LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom1  Yes, I've never used it before on a lilac. It's usually for my yews and other evergreens. But it was "cutting like butter" on a very hot day and I didn't want to put in the hard work of the usual long tool which requires a lot of muscle.

Have a feeling I may regret that decision next year if there were any "foreign" trees growing in the base of the lilac that I missed and didn't carefully remove this year. 

For right now, it is nicely shaped and ready to set new buds. That's all I can promise!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

@HLP  Sorry, but no I am not. I live in Nebraska, USA and simply love gardening after growing up helping my mom maintain our landscaping after it was professionally done. Years later, I began the Master Gardening courses and have been volunteering ever since. 

And yes, you are correct! It was not the best idea to use the electric trimmer on the lilac! I won't do it again for several reasons. It was quick and easy which was my main focus on a 97* day! (Save that electric trimmer for the evergreens which is what it is designed for.)

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Respected Contributor

@BirkiLady @HLP , I think @HLP  was referring to me when she referred to the poster from Halifax.  I am from Halifax so she has that correct.  I wasmLikysmom, then had to change to Satomi because I could not sign in as Lilysmom, then changed to Lilysmom1.  LM

Regular Contributor

So beautiful @Lilysmom1 

Respected Contributor

@ladyfox412 ,thank you for the kind words!  LM