Esteemed Contributor

Has anyone ever planted this in a very wet area?  What was your experience?  I am thinking of an area that rarely dries out.  I have irises there now and they do well.  TIA.  LM

Trusted Contributor

Yes.  Be warned this  weed is very invasive.   Self seeds.

Goos luck.

Esteemed Contributor

@kingofcool1947 wrote:

Yes.  Be warned this  weed is very invasive.   Self seeds.

Goos luck.

kingofcool1947, thanks for your reply.  I am in zone 5.  I have had it in the ground a couple of years.  It has not gone crazy but I will heed your warning and keep an eye on it.  It wouldn't be the first time I've pulled something for that reason.  I appreciate the heads up.  LM

Honored Contributor

Hubby didn't plant our's in a 'wet' area but it does do well where it's at.  Our's is getting ready to bloom right now in fact.  Bees LOVE this stuff.  Our's is way taller than I am and I'm 5'4".  I don't find that it's too invasive though, at least not yet and we've had our's about 4-5 years now.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

Hubby didn't plant our's in a 'wet' area but it does do well where it's at.  Our's is getting ready to bloom right now in fact.  Bees LOVE this stuff.  Our's is way taller than I am and I'm 5'4".  I don't find that it's too invasive though, at least not yet and we've had our's about 4-5 years now.

PinkDogwood, our experience is the same so far.  Our nurseries here promote this especially because it is a favorite of the bees and butterflies.  I try to make an effort to keep stuff like this in the garden given all the stresses on those creatures.  Love to see them come.  We are just getting into peak flowering time so I expect an increased presence soon after a lingering winter.

I might try to move some into the wet area when they have spread a bit more.  Thanks for your feedback!  LM

Honored Contributor

According to the web, Joe Pye was a "19th century naturalist from New England who is said to have used the plant’s roots to heal typhus fever."

Honored Contributor

I have Little Joe Pye in a flower bed and it's been there for about eight years and has spread some but I wouldn't say mine is invasive.  But, it isn't in a wet area, just gets water like the other plants.  I am in zone 6 and mine has been fully bloomed for about two weeks.  I like it.