Esteemed Contributor
Jazz, can I overwinter an Alberta Spruce inside and plant in the spring? LM
Honored Contributor

Hmmm, I would say an unheated area for overwintering. Make sure it has enough water over the winter. Maybe don't let the soil dry out completely? Is it too small to go into the ground now? It would be better as it will acclimate itself before the winter arrives.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

The big question is how big an Alberta Spruce are you trying to overwinter? A six inch one could probably be carried over pretty easily. A six foot one would much, much more of a challenge.

Artificial light in the form of daylight spectrum cfl's is pretty cheap these days and lets you get as much light as any plant needs. Dormancy might be a challenge, but it's likely long artificially lit days and consistently warm temps would keep it actively growing and out of dormancy. A bigger tree could even have bulbs placed around it to ensure adequate lighting.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Jazz and gardenman.  Just something I am pondering.  Probably easier to wait and buy new next spring.  It would only be a small shrub otherwise I would not contemplate it.  I appreciate the feedback.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Fall is a good time to plant.  The plant doesn't have to fight the heat while it's trying to get established. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda

Lilysmom is in Nova Scotia, CAN so she needs to get this plant into the ground before the fall if possible.

Esteemed Contributor

Location, location, location.  LOL!

eta...you use @ and someone on another thread was asking about the use of it.  Why do you (and others) use it?

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

I use it because the quoting here with 5 different people quoting drives me nuts and I can't follow the discussion with alll the quotes (even the faded ones now with this new forum).

Esteemed Contributor

Jazz is right on the timing.  I like to give my shrubs and trees the longest possible time to develop good root systems before winter sets in.  We are in a windy location and some of our winters are tough.  Tough more because of a freeze/thaw cycle than tough because of heavy snow.  LM