Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem with the Japanese beetles.  How you found anything effective that's not harmful to bees and butterflies?  Unless I constantly pick (hundreds) of them off  my roses, rose of sharon, and hardy hibiscus, they destroy them.

Trusted Contributor

The traps are kind of sightly but they do work.  The other thing to start is Milky Spore.  It is an organic product and you apply it 3x (I think) the first year then annually.   I have to go that route because of my pets.  Make sure you get it fresh from a good garden store as I belive it's a llive spore and if it's old won't be effective. 

GOOD LUCK!  Hate those little buggers!  They were eating my basil before I could get to it...That is a serious crime at my house!

Honored Contributor

Re: Japanese Beetles !!!

[ Edited ]

@amber 15wrote:

Yes, i was told to try aat my local center for my hibiscus and rose of sharon. I did buy a bag but it has not helped so far.

@amber 15if you want to use a Japanese Beetle trap (bag) DO NOT put it up close to the house or near your plants.  Those traps attract the bugs and you're going to get your neighbors' bugs coming to your yard too.  Stake that bag at a far spot in your yard.  Hold your breath when you change bags.  The collection of dead beetles stinks to high heaven and will make you gag.

Respected Contributor

It’s so upsetting to put time and money into the garden and have it wrecked by insects. Many effective treatments also destroy beneficial insects which throws off the balance iof nature in the garden. I’ve heard of the milky spore treatment. 

Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I may give the milky spore a try this year.  

Respected Contributor

MIlky Spore does work!  Years ago I treated my lawn and the lawn on either side of me(I live in a town house community). Next year no more beetles.  I can't remember how often I treated but a good garden center will know.

Honored Contributor

Re: Japanese Beetles !!!

[ Edited ]

@shellgirlwrote:

Thanks, I may give the milky spore a try this year.  

Research has shown that Milky Spore (a bacillus that the grubs eat) is only effective at killing off the Jspanese beetle grubs in Hardiness zones 8 & up. Anytime it’s applied in lower Hardiness Zones you are wasting your money as the soil is too cold for it to effectively work.

Picking them off the plants helps. Another thing is not planting plants that attract them such as hibiscus & roses. 

Those Japanese beetle allure traps do work but place them either on the edges of your property or on your neighbor’s (with permission of course).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

i made the decision last summer-no more gardening-flowers or veggies....just too much work trying to keep plants insect-free....and too much watering during the heat of the summer....maybe a couple of geraniums on the deck...that's all i need....and veggies from the local farmers market....

Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I live in zone 6, so sounds like Milky Spore won't work.  I live on 6 acres and neighbors are not right beside me, but heard traps only attract more--which is hard to believe with as many as we have.  We also have an apple tree and flowering cherry tree that they devour.  Wish I had known how much they love many of the plants in my garden before I invested so much time and money.  Have lived here 27 years and the beetles only became a problem about 3 years ago.  Just don't have the heart yet to remove all of my roses, etc., but being very careful in adding new plants.

Honored Contributor

@nana59wrote:

i made the decision last summer-no more gardening-flowers or veggies....just too much work trying to keep plants insect-free....and too much watering during the heat of the summer....maybe a couple of geraniums on the deck...that's all i need....and veggies from the local farmers market....

I'm getting to that point, too, @nana59.  I really enjoy having a lot of color around but it gets so darn hot and if I forget to water for a day or we go away for a weekend, everything goes to pot.