Respected Contributor

JUST MOUNTED A BLUEBIRD HOUSEšŸ˜

Did some research after I read posts here.

So we mounted it on a tree facing east, along my driveway. 

It's a cedar wood house.  I'm so excited!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: JUST MOUNTED A BLUEBIRD HOUSEšŸ˜

@Dazlin , post a picture for us.  Hope your guests arrive soon!  LM

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin 

Facing East is one the most important things when setting up a bluebird box, as well as the size of the hole in the box, so invading species of birds can't enter the box.

My recent family of 5 babies fledged last weekend, so we're ready for family 2 to move in!

They are SO much fun to watch when nesting/rearing their young!

Enjoy!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Super Contributor

We have lots of bluebirds flying around here in West Centrral Florida.  They like to sit on the top of the shepherd's hook where I have my bird feeders.  They won't eat from the feeders, but they sit up there looking for bugs and swooooop down into the grass when they see one.  I was going to get some dried mealworm for them and put them in a platform feeder, but I read they only like live ones, so that's a big Nooooo!  LOL

Esteemed Contributor

Where we live, weā€™ve never seen a bluebird, but have been told it is possible.  We did put up a little bluebird house on a pole in our backyard.  I have seen a teeny weeny bird on the top, but it is not a bluebird.  At least it is being used.

Respected Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Dazlin , post a picture for us.  Hope your guests arrive soon!  LM

@Lilysmom ...I'll try again to post pics...but I replied to your post about not being able to put up pics...seems this site is not updated and doesn't accept my pics.  It says files too large....so I download to my smartphone smallest file, and still says ,too large.  Not sure what else to try....I was able to post pics last year, same phone.   If you might recall...my dog Gabriel,  and rose planters.

But thank you...yes, I hope to see some actionšŸ™‚

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin , on your iphone or iPad click on the photo, click edit in the top right corner.  A menu will show up on the left side. Click one of the options to brighten or whatever.  For some reason, a small edit will make the photo portable.

Try one more time.  Good luck!  LM

Honored Contributor

@LolaMontez 

@LolaMontez wrote:

We have lots of bluebirds flying around here in West Centrral Florida.  They like to sit on the top of the shepherd's hook where I have my bird feeders.  They won't eat from the feeders, but they sit up there looking for bugs and swooooop down into the grass when they see one.  I was going to get some dried mealworm for them and put them in a platform feeder, but I read they only like live ones, so that's a big Nooooo!  LOL

@LolaMontez 

Not true about the meal worns, we've been raising bluebirds for over 10 years and they LOVE dried meal worms!

We throw a handful in with the regular feed each time we fill up their feedng platform.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I had a bluebird house on a pole in my back yard for several years.  One year I was actually watching when the babies fledged!  It took a long time, but I saw all of them fly out of the house.  It was very exciting.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

We had a successful brood that fledged last week! I wasn't home to see them, but a few days later cleaned out the house and all seemed normal. Here is an invaluable site that has everything you'd ever need to know about bluebirds: http://www.sialis.org/

Originally joined board 12-14-2004