Honored Contributor

It's that time of Year....Impatiens, Geraniums

[ Edited ]

Since I live in Illinois, I will be purchasing and planting in 2 weeks depending that we will no longer have frost.  I buy all my filler plants at the local grocer but if I want really big geraniums, I go to a nursery.  I also love Impatiens so I will definitely pick some up.  Cat Very Happy

I always look forward to this time of year and planting the flowers.  How about you?

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Re: It's that time of Year....Impatiens, Geraniums

I usually have my annuals planted by now, but this year it has been too cold. 

Last fall I planted hardy geraniums (different than the annual type) a couple of hundred of them.  A few are already up and blooming, but not many yet.  Mine are blue, pink and white...I hope they survived the winter and the squirrels did not dig them all up.

Around Mother’s Day, I will be planting all of my summer stuff...including vegetables.  The last couple of years, I have been planting things in containers so that I can take them with me when we spend a few weeks at our lake place.

It is easier to move them with us than have to worry about my daughter watering them. She still waters what I have planted in the ground.

I can’t wait to buy Mandevilla’a again.  They have become my favorite flowers....everyone stops to ask me about them.

My sour cherry tree is full of blossoms.  I have a dwarf tree that produces bushels and bushels of cherries...unbelievable.  I made three cherry strudels today to try to use up last year’s crop that is in my freezer.

I love this time of the year.

Trusted Contributor

Had to stop myself from buying geranium planters from Meijer this weekend because I don't want to have to drag them to the garage to overnight.

My rule, like many others in our area: wait until the third week of May at the earliest.

Honored Contributor

I have planted a few items, hostas and creeping phlox, plus 1 pot with geranium and petunias in the same color. Probably by this time next week I will plant a few more.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@Carmie  Can you describe the Mandevilla'a?  Never heard of them and I am curious.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1  The first three pictures are stock pictures.  The other two are last year’s plants from my  deck at the lake for my RV.

E32B5B96-0E40-4868-8A19-DBAB82355778.jpeg2B3C92D9-6594-4FB7-A42C-D45B2D257871.jpeg3C03A8E5-4DFE-46FC-9787-329E03EB68FD.jpeg

B35C4D05-2209-46B0-90AA-C612DC31E118.jpeg9D06F1BE-A468-491A-A60C-A24728AA0A2E.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

I had beautiful perennial gardens installed in my home last year (we moved here almost 2 years ago).  This year I am completing the perennials on my retaining wall (digging up what was here before we purchased the house) and adding other things.

Around Mother's Day, I will plant my annuals.  My girls' have plant sales at their schools and they have the most beautiful quality flowers.  I placed an order for lots of things -- sun patiens, impatiens, petunias, geraniums, non-stop begonias, lantana, and a few other things I can't remember right now. lol

I LOVE gardening and I can't wait to get started!!  There's nothing better than creating an oasis of beautiful color and bringing it all to life during the summer months. So much fun!

Happy Planting! Heart