Trusted Contributor

Re: It's official: planting season is over, for me

Done here in North Texas, too. I started April 1 by adding some perennials, then have been filling in here and there with more perennials. Removed a few shrubs that weren't performing well. Planted some annuals, too. Filled the front porch urns, two hanging baskets and one big pot on the patio. Installed an antique copper weathervane, put out the patio cushions and umbrella, turned on the water fountain for the birds, and I am done! (unless something really pretty catches my eye at the garden center I love to wander through on a regular basis)

Trusted Contributor

If you can stand how ragged and funky looking annuals get after they finish flowering, leave them in place rather than pulling them up. They'll go to seed and come back the next year (usually). I've had some pleasant surprises that way.

Honored Contributor

I envy all of you who are done with your planting. I have just started by getting my deck trees done plus the topiary but have 5 window boxes and 7-8  planters to fill. Everyone is out of flowers in my area; even the nursery has some sad looking specimens going for top dollar.

Mothers Day must have cleared them all out.