Trusted Contributor

It's official: planting season is over, for me

[ Edited ]

It started about the first of April and finally, yesterday, it ended with the last things I wanted to plant. Boy is it a lot of work! my DH had to do a lot of it for me because I have a bad right knee right now and I'm so thankful for his help.

Nowdays I grow mostly flowers and shrubs; no more veggies. We have a plague of rabbits and I have no intention of feeding them.

I also buy containers of mixed wildflower seeds and scatter those around to fill up empty spaces. Last year I got more comliments on my front yard and I think I will again this year too. I planted some trembling, timid little wallflowers and much to my surprise they've come back again this year, pounding their chests and clad in full battle dress as they try to take over the front yard fence.

I could go on and on, especially about how a windstrorm blew most of the blossoms off my apple tree AGAIN this year....but I won't. (ha! quelle surprise, no?)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's official: planting season is over, for me

Please @FuzzyFace, go ahead and complain.  A freezing rain and 60mph windstorm blew all the blossoms off my 2 plum trees AGAIN this year.   Congratulations on being done planting.  Actually, I'm just 'done in' with it.  Another goofy spring -- 80 degrees for a couple days, then hard freezes the next days, etc., back and forth from March first till now -- has killed off or crippled most of my flowering shrubs and perennials.  I finally got the dead stuff removed, but have a lot of planting ahead of me to fill the empty spaces.

I'm ready to dig everything under and plant grass seed.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

We just got finished planting the garden plus flowers I put in pots on the front & back porch every summer.

We don't dare plant anything around here until May. We had our last freeze this year in Apr. It has also snowed here in Apr before.

We have rabbits here too. They keep having babies under the Shed. I see the little ones come out from under there to eat. Yes they like our garden. DH bought some type of fence wire & made round cages to put around each plant so they cannot get to them. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

We just got finished planting the garden plus flowers I put in pots on the front & back porch every summer.

We don't dare plant anything around here until May. We had our last freeze this year in Apr. It has also snowed here in Apr before.

We have rabbits here too. They keep having babies under the Shed. I see the little ones come out from under there to eat. Yes they like our garden. DH bought some type of fence wire & made round cages to put around each plant so they cannot get to them. LOL!!!

@Nightowlz  I bought a flat of these, Mexican Daisies, i.e. Fleabane, decades ago, but no one told me they would out live me, lol.  They look fabulous most of the year, and the bunnies love them, so by the time they are through eating them, the plants die back, I rip them out, a good quantity but not all, and they return the next year.  This is a great filler, hanging over  a rock embankment, or popping up here and there, and are easy to pull.

Related image

Trusted Contributor

doesn't it feel good to have the gardening work all done and enjoy

the beauty? I started my gardening in March

and I'm very glad I am finished because summer has arrived

early here in Texas.  Time for me to hibernate. Smiley Happy

Only outside work I plan on doing until fall is getting on the

riding lawn mower. 

Honored Contributor

Congratulations, mine is just getting underway. The flower bed has been created using 3.5 cubic yards of topsoil and potting mix. Tomorrow I'll start planting a mix of flowers and vegetables.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl; does the fleabane repel fleas? Anyone know? I don’t have fleas here but am curious if they can be used as a deterrent.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@mousiegirl; does the fleabane repel fleas? Anyone know? I don’t have fleas here but am curious if they can be used as a deterrent.

@JustJazzmom

I doubt fleabane repels them (I understand they should be dried first, but even then I believe it's iffy).

In any event, should you ever find your grounds harboring fleas, beneficial nematodes will eat not only the larvae and pupa but also adult fleas.  

I'm not a fan of pesticides or herbicides if I can help it.

I suspect you are already aware of a lot of the benefits of beneficial nematodes.  

https://www.fleabites.net/beneficial-nematodes-for-fleas-how-they-work/

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@JustJazzmom

I doubt fleabane repels them (I understand they should be dried first, but even then I believe it's iffy).

In any event, should you ever find your grounds harboring fleas, beneficial nematodes will eat not only the larvae and pupa but also adult fleas.  

I'm not a fan of pesticides or herbicides if I can help it.

I suspect you are already aware of a lot of the benefits of beneficial nematodes.  

https://www.fleabites.net/beneficial-nematodes-for-fleas-how-they-work/

When I lived in Southern California I had sand fleas.  I had a dog and I used to have to get up early and spray the back yard, set off heavy duty flea bombs in the house (that I got from the Vet) and then drop the dog off for a shampoo and flea treatment on my way to work.  This had to be done several times a year.  So nice not to have that problem here in the PNW!