Honored Contributor

It's St Patrick's Day And...

I have a poinsettia still going indoors next to a shamrock plant. The poinsettia has been around since early December. It still looks new, believe it or not. 

The poinsettia caught my eye in the grocery store, it is pink but a rosy pink. And variegated. It was the only one like it in the store, I had never seen one like it.

I always try to keep a shamrock going until May, sometimes June. I am complete opposite of a green thumb. But I have never had a poinsettia and shamrock at the same time.

Anyone else still have a poinsettia or am I the only weirdo lol. My tree was down a long time ago, first week in Jan. Just to make that clearCat Tongue

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's St Patrick's Day And...

One year I bought a shamrock plant (an annual) and planted it outside in the shade next to my front porch.  It grew to the size of a small shrub over the summer and was absolutely beautiful.  I have no idea what the name of it was.... it was a cheapie sold in the supermarket parking lot.  An impulse buy.   Wish I could find another one.

Yup, my pointsettia is still going strong. 

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I still have a dozen or so blooming. Four are on the screen porch and looking really good - the rest are planted outside and thriving. We cover them if the weather goes below 30, but they love it there.  The outside plants are now about 4 1/2 to 5 feet tall.  

I also bury my Easter Lily bulbs outside after the blooms are gone. Nothing ready to bloom right now, but since they've been planted, they have multiplied and I have probably about 30 that are six to eight inches up. They will be gorgeous around Easter.  I never throw away what might bloom again for me.

Honored Contributor

My poinsettia usually lasts till around Valentine's Day, good for you with yours! My tree comes down the same time as yours,

Image result for shamrock animated st patricks day images

Trusted Contributor

We have two hanging in there and blooming.  I usually throw them out when we move the geraniums in pots back outside. 

Trusted Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21 you sound just fine to me.  I still have my pumpkin from Halloween! Its a medium sized one that I kept indoors.  Its still looking good too.  I have never had a pumpkin that lasted this long.  Crazy!  

Honored Contributor

@sophiesofers Wow, now that is impressive. You could have painted it green for today.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Trusted Contributor

@Greeneyedlady21  yes your right.  A green pumpkin is a good idea for today!  

Honored Contributor

People who live in tropical areas where there's never a freeze have poinsettias growing in their yards as shrubbery. They have hedges of Croton plants.   They live in a different world. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Funny, I thought you were going to say that you'd planted your peas.  It's tradition in the northeast to plant peas on St.Patricks day for luck and fortune.  It may also be so your peas are ready for another northeast tradition... Salmon and Peas on the fourth of July.