Esteemed Contributor

Re: It's August! Post your Pics

@Bird mama wrote:

I noticed this blonde sparrow in my yard earlier in the week and it's taken me this long to get a picture of it.  I was moving fast so it's not as clear as I would like.

IMG_1798 (350x263).jpg

@Bird mama I have never seen a blonde sparrow, but I'll be on the lookout from now on.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl-

Today I heard  and saw 2 smaller hawks carrying on and dive bombing each other or something!

I went out and said hey guys whats going on? Whats the matter?

And then I did hear crows in the background.

I couldn't imagine what was going on-were the hawks angry at each other? Or some kind of mating dance?

I don't know. Cacophany is a good way you described it!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@mousiegirl-

Today I heard  and saw 2 smaller hawks carrying on and dive bombing each other or something!

I went out and said hey guys whats going on? Whats the matter?

And then I did hear crows in the background.

I couldn't imagine what was going on-were the hawks angry at each other? Or some kind of mating dance?

I don't know. Cacophany is a good way you described it!

@on the bay  The hawks may have been trying to get to the crows nests.  For several decades here, there were no crows, but I think their habitat was disturbed, then they came here to the woods.  Add the Jays into the mix and you will need earmuffs, lol.  A jay was yelling at me yesterday when I was watering some plants as it wanted to take a bath in the birdbath nearby, and guess it didn't want an audience, lol.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl-

Lol!

I don't have blue jays but cardinals and they come a lot and chirp loudly. I don't know if they are saying hi or please leave so we can eat the seeds you put out!

Or sometimes I'll put out more. Sometimes they will eat whether I am sitting near or not so I hope they are saying thank you and they like me!

I did have that new Bernini feeder/fountain. It was so pretty! I stopped putting seeds in it because the squirrel would just get in the whole thing and devour it all and have so much fun. It was fun to watch but not practical for everyone else.

So I just put the seeds on the ground and turned the water on.

In less than 3 weeks, the knob for turning it off would not turn the water off! So I returned it as defective today. The timer never worked.

I already miss it but they had to have known all the problems it had. There are many 1 star reviews. 

And getting the batteries in and the box in the right place and turning the bottom in just right took forever!

Its ok, I have another fountain I made myself.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@mousiegirl-

Lol!

I don't have blue jays but cardinals and they come a lot and chirp loudly. I don't know if they are saying hi or please leave so we can eat the seeds you put out!

Or sometimes I'll put out more. Sometimes they will eat whether I am sitting near or not so I hope they are saying thank you and they like me!

I did have that new Bernini feeder/fountain. It was so pretty! I stopped putting seeds in it because the squirrel would just get in the whole thing and devour it all and have so much fun. It was fun to watch but not practical for everyone else.

So I just put the seeds on the ground and turned the water on.

In less than 3 weeks, the knob for turning it off would not turn the water off! So I returned it as defective today. The timer never worked.

I already miss it but they had to have known all the problems it had. There are many 1 star reviews. 

And getting the batteries in and the box in the right place and turning the bottom in just right took forever!

Its ok, I have another fountain I made myself.

@on the bay  I am impressed that you made a fountain.  I have two Bernini fountains, but not the one you mentioned.  I have the one with all of the critters, and one with birds, neither one drew any birds, lol, but I liked listening to them.

Squirrels are so entertaining.  My dentist had a squirrel station outside the window with a squirrel chair and a corn cob holder, good way to take a patient's mind off of the situation.

Respected Contributor

I would post pics of my flowers but, HE ate them...Image may contain: outdoor

Honored Contributor

What I was working on these past few weekends:

Paved Path By Garage w Peonies, Daffodils & Sedges 9-8-18.JPG

Paved Path Behind Garage 8-31-18.JPGContinuation of Paved Path 8-31-18.JPG

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

What I was working on these past few weekends:

Paved Path By Garage w Peonies, Daffodils & Sedges 9-8-18.JPG

Paved Path Behind Garage 8-31-18.JPGContinuation of Paved Path 8-31-18.JPG

@JustJazzmom  It looks really nice.  Did you cut out from the walk, or is that new also?  I love making new gardens, small, medium, or large, always exciting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl The pavers are new; previously there was cement there. New cement was poured which had ponding issues (low areas), so all cement was removed with pavers installed. 

The area by the bird feeders was existing & that area was extended to the picket fence by adding 3 Hakone grasses & 2 toadlilies. Along the garage length,  that path is new with 28’ X 2’ of bed for peony divisions, variegated sedge & Jetfire daffodils.  

The pavers in front of the back garage door previously had landscape which was moved to other areas of the garden. A Pistachio hydrangea got a new home & white summer bleeding hearts got new homes too. I had removed 2 Raspberry Glow Mountain laurels which initially did well but developed fungal disease over time despite being ‘fungal resistant’.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@mousiegirl The pavers are new; previously there was cement there. New cement was poured which had ponding issues (low areas), so all cement was removed with pavers installed. 

The area by the bird feeders was existing & that area was extended to the picket fence by adding 3 Hakone grasses & 2 toadlilies. Along the garage length,  that path is new with 28’ X 2’ of bed for peony divisions, variegated sedge & Jetfire daffodils.  

@JustJazzmom  I bet you can't wait for Spring now.  I finally divided or repotted daylilies and can't wait t see if it makes a difference, should.  

I have a sprained finger now, so I can't do any gardening except for watering, still so much to do.  We have had mild Fall like weather for a month, so fortunately, I took advantage of that and got a lot done, as time has flown, and my finger probably won't be better for another three weeks or so, judging from a previous sprain I had.