Honored Contributor

Re: It rained and the flowers rejoiced!

@LIG1 wrote:

@JustJazzmom wrote:

@LIG1 wrote:

@Lilysmom~ I was wondering if you've ever had a problem with the leaves on your hydrangea getting black spots? Mine look beautiful in the spring of the year, but around this time every year they get so blotched with these dark spots. I wonder if it's something to do with the soil? 

It's a fungal disease and aside from removing leaves (which is not necessary) it's self contained. Only thing I can recommend is in the fall good garden clean up (sanitation) of the leaves so it doesn't recur next year. Where I am there is humidity in addition to heat in the summer. I'm sure along with the overhead watering of the sprinkler system it contributes to this as well. 

From SFGate homeguides & HGTV: Leaf Spot Disease in Hydrangea. Two types of fungal diseases can infect hydrangeas -- cercospora leaf spot and anthracnose. ... Like cercospora leaf spot, the disease first manifests itself on the lower leaves of the plant in the form of purple to reddish spots. The problem is caused by a fungus that spreads via spores in wet or humid conditions.

From SFGate: Chemical Treatment for Leaf Spot
Copper-based fungicides may help control bacterial leaf spot if applied in late spring. Fungicides containing chlorothalonil and thiophantate-methyl work to control both cercospora leaf spot and anthracnose. Dilution rates for chlorothalonil-containing fungicides range from 1.4 teaspoons to 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, depending on the product. For fungicides containing thiophanate-methyl, the dilution rates is usually 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Apply them every 10 to 14 days as needed. For more severe infections, apply at shorter intervals. Follow all directions on the label when using chemical fungicides.

@JustJazzmom & @Lilysmom~ thank you both for your advice and suggestions. I had a thought that it might be some kind of fungal disease or possibly something to do with the soil, but I didn't have a clue as to how to treat it. 

BTW, is this chemical treatment only good for hydrangea's or can it be used on other flowering plants/shrubs? My daylilies which are in the same bed with the hydrangea haven't been blooming full like they used to, plus I've noticed a shorter life to the blooms. 

On a postive note, I have a bay leaf tree that is just beautiful this year...full and lush green leaves. It's the first year that I haven't had a problem with some kind of insect eating on the leaves...knock on wood. lol 

Thanks again for your help!Smiley Happy

You would have to read the label on the fungicide. Are the daylilies in full sun? They generally bloom more in full sun. You may see less blooms when they may need division. Dig up the clumps and divide them. Google those symptoms -- less blooms and shorter bloom period of daylilies and see what comes up.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@LIG1, I wonder if you've had a dry summer like me?  In very dry periods, some of my perennials do not get as large as they do in a summer of normal precipitation or regular precipitation.  (I am thinking dry summers are the new 'normal' here.)

You can also try fertilizing the perennials.  Just before a rain is best.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom Absolutely gorgeous. What I would give for some rain. I water at least two hours every day and it's becoming tiresome. I have many of the same plants as you and treasure them all !!

It's been so hot here that even this would feel good right now  !!

falling snow.gif

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep, I'm not ready for that yet but by the time September rolls around, I'm thinking....