Honored Contributor

Is this normal on a ficus tree?

Image may contain: plant, nature and outdoor

My granddaughter sent me this pic of her ficus tree, which she has kept outside this summer. It has about 4-5 of these "balls" growing on it. She is wondering if this is ok or is it something that will hatch once she brings it inside. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks so much.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Re: Is this normal on a ficus tree?

Apparently, ficus benjamina will bear fruit occasionally, especially if kept outside in a warm, humid climate.  Could the balls be the fruit?  The fruit are edible, if they are still fresh.

http://tipsplants.com/community/growing-plants/4-main-ways-using-ficus-benjamina-fruit

Esteemed Contributor

Loos like a gall.  It happens.  I'd probably cut it away at this point.  They can be fungal or bacterial in origin.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Snicks1, I don’t know anything about ficus trees but my oaks have gall and it is not harmful to them.  I would snip one off and open it to see what is inside before I brought it inside.  LM

@Snicks1, check this out...http://www.plant-care.com/ficus-tree-they-have-gall.html

Honored Contributor

Thanks to all for the responses. I have forwarded the info to my granddaughter. Much appreciated.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

Fruit would appear after a flower has gone to seed. I think it’s a gall too. Could even had been caused by a wasp that irritated the plant tissue. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼