Super Contributor

I had this "volunteer" come up in my garden.  I didn't plant it, don't know where it came from, don't know what it is.  It just has a tiny purple flower at the top of a long stem.  Thought I'd leave it alone...a flower is a flower is a flower!

Thanks all!

flower.jpg

Man plans. God laughs.
Regular Contributor

Re: Is this a flower or a weed?

Spiderwort is a spring-blooming plant with long, strappy leaves and blue-purple buds. Native to North America, South America, and Central America, it's a beloved addition to any garden thanks to its easy care and weeks-long bloom period. Spiderwort is characterized by a messy, grass-like form (its leaves can grow up to two feet in height each season) punctuated with quarter-sized flowers that last only one day. Luckily, each plant produces many buds throughout spring and into early summer. When cracked open, the stem of the spiderwort secrets a white, sticky substance that becomes thread-like and silky once hardened (similar to a spider's web), thus coining its unusual common name.

Super Contributor

Wow...thanks for the speedy response!  I sure don't know how I ended up with a volunteer spiderwort plant, but I'm glad I didn't yank it!  (I hope I didn't accidently pull up any others when I weeded last month!)

Thanks a lot.

Man plans. God laughs.
Respected Contributor

Yup, Spiderwart.  Commonly purple flowers but Rarely you'll get a plant with Pink flowers.  I don't know if they are a weed or not.  They're pretty though.

Honored Contributor

At my house, it is (or was) a weed. 

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

At my house, it is (or was) a weed. 

I'm with you. If something looks like a weed, it's gone. After all, dandelions have yellow blossoms but I don't want them covering my lawn. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@caroln242 wrote:

Wow...thanks for the speedy response!  I sure don't know how I ended up with a volunteer spiderwort plant, but I'm glad I didn't yank it!  (I hope I didn't accidently pull up any others when I weeded last month!)

Thanks a lot.

Caroln242 - I am forever pulling up what I thought were weeds - and they weren't. Lose so many plants that way.

Respected Contributor

@newagain888888 wrote:

Spiderwort is a spring-blooming plant with long, strappy leaves and blue-purple buds. Native to North America, South America, and Central America, it's a beloved addition to any garden thanks to its easy care and weeks-long bloom period. Spiderwort is characterized by a messy, grass-like form (its leaves can grow up to two feet in height each season) punctuated with quarter-sized flowers that last only one day. Luckily, each plant produces many buds throughout spring and into early summer. When cracked open, the stem of the spiderwort secrets a white, sticky substance that becomes thread-like and silky once hardened (similar to a spider's web), thus coining its unusual common name.

so THAT's what it is! I have it all over my flower beds and wondered if they're related to Forget Me Nots. pretty flower! Thanks for the information.

Super Contributor

From a gardening site

Plants grow in clumps up to 3 feet across in hardiness zones 4-9.  Spiderwort is invasive!  The plant self seeds and grows everywhere in the yard growing in tight bundles choking out other plants.  The roots go down about 2-3 inches, and are tightly packed making it difficult to remove.  The plant is a vigorous grower.  A number of species have become pests to cultivated crops. Shear back after their last flowering, so that they do not go to seed.

Contributor

Spiderwort is very invasive as another person wrote.  It will take over your whole flower area.  Always pulled it out.