Honored Contributor

Re: Is it too soon to start cutting back perennial plants??

I have trimmed back my day lillies several few weeks ago...they re bloom!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am doing some major change ups in my gardens and have been moving things and cutting back for a few weeks now.  Astilbe, hostas, lilies, and many others.

@JustJazzmom  interested to read your comments about pruning evergreens.  I bought a new trimmer and plan to have a go at my junipers.  I have done a bit but will do more if you think they should be done in September.  I also plan to give my hydrangeas a two foot haircut.  I think I will make this week a pruning week.  Zone 5b here.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom  I think if you prune evergreens now or earlier in the year, there's enough time for the plant to harden off before winter destroys any new growth. 

If it's a flowering evergreen, it's best to prune right after they flower. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

As much as I'd like to dig up my glads, the stems are not totally dried down. I guess the bulbs get their nutrition from the greenery so I had best wait until after a good frost. Not being much of a gardener, I may be somewhat wrong with my wording (a neighbor told me glads aren't really bulbs).

Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom , I will be doing a light pruning of tips for shaping only, not a hard prune.

Busy time of year.  Hope we get everything ship shape before the hurricanes arrive.   Dorian caused extreme havoc for us last year.  We put on a new steel roof and have done major tree removal this year.  2020 has been very busy for us.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@DAD 

I'm in zone 5.

I don't cut them down until they die back to ground level. I cut peonies down around trick or treat week, in the end of October. Same for daisies, day lilly, etc.

Until then, they are using their greenery to manufacture food for the roots, which in turn stores energy for next year's initial growth.

Cutting them early will compromise next year's bloom.

Respected Contributor

My phlox has been looking poorly.  I then noticed caterpillars on the stems.  And then I noticed them invading some of my other flowers.  I've got to cut my phlox back, but what do I do about caterpillar invasion?  A friend recommended Sevendust.

I'm new to gardening, I like the flowers, but am not wild about digging around outside - I seem to get bit to death by no seeums, esp. this time of year.

My zinnias are looking straggly as well.  Time is nearing to get those out, or maybe the caterpillars will do it for me.  What do you all do about such pests?

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Respected Contributor

@x Hedge That is the same way I do.  I also learned that the foliage nourished the plant and to hold off cutting it down too early.

Sometimes if I tire of looking at the foliage starting to die back, I'll tie it up in bundles until it is time to cut. 

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN  Try & ID the caterpillars at a local nursery or cooperative extension. They could be butterfly caterpillars.

Also google insect pests on phlox & that might help ID the caterpillars too. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I want to get outside and get started on the fall clean-up plus I have 150 white daffodils with a yellow trumpet to get into the ground.  The area is so smoky here (Seattle area) I feel like I should wait.