Valued Contributor

Is it ok to use miracle gro for tomatoes

on my flowers? Or do I need to buy the stuff specifically for flowers?

TIA

cookin

Honored Contributor

Re: Is it ok to use miracle gro for tomatoes

Thats what I use on all my plants--veggies, herbs, flowers--dont have any fruit growing. 

Honored Contributor

Why not give it a try?

Esteemed Contributor

I do.  Works just fine.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

We use Miracle Gro for tomatoes.  DH won't use the Miracle Gro for flowers and blooms on edible vegetables and fruits. 

Super Contributor

That's what this green thumb uses on all his pots of flowers and veggies! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

There are many Miracle Gro products. Look at the first number on the package which is nitrogen. Nitrogen encourages foliage, not buds & blooms. That first number should be low & the 2nd number —phosphorus should be higher, as phosphorus encourages blooms & buds.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cookinfreak wrote:

on my flowers? Or do I need to buy the stuff specifically for flowers?

TIA

cookin

Miracle Grow is not organic.  I do not use it on anything edible.   I use Dr. Grow Organic for my fruit and vegetables.

MG is fine to use on flowers.  Check the NPP %’s first though.  

Good luck.

Hung

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

A really good fertilizer, that you can use on anything, is chicken manure pellets, or alfalfa meal. I've used both and I prefer the chicke manure pellets. They are a teeny bit smelly but not all that much; and they work a lot fasterr than alfalfa meal.

I had some pellets left from my previous major feeding on my "important" plants, and what I had left over I scratched into the ground around my wildflowers. WOW! they shot up like rockets and look so beautiful and delicate, swaying in the summer breeze.

Miracle Grow isn't organic, that's true. I guess it's pretty harmless but I prefer organic fertilizer. I do use Miracid on my acid-loving azealas and a few other plants but since our soil is so acid anyway, that's about all I use it for.

And, truth to tell, pellets are a lot easier to use than something like Miracle grow; you don't have to measure and spray, measure and spray, measure and spray ad infinitum. Just sprinkle a handful of chicken pellets or however much you need into the ground around the root line, scratch it in, and water it for maybe 30 minutes and you're good.