Trusted Contributor

Re: Is it odd to enjoy gardening so much?

@denisemb wrote:

@Catiele wrote:

I enjoy gardening. I always have. When I was young we always had flowers and a garden. I now have my own garden and I help my husband with the weeding . When it is nice I am out there. The soil isn’t the best so not everything grows well  here. To get lilacs to flower took years. It isn’t odd to like gardening so much. The key is finding what you like to do.

Wow, I had one area against my housei I wanted to plant bulbs and a few veggies, but it was grass with clay underneath. Decided to "double-dig" it - oh, man, what a lot of work!  Did have an incredible tomato crop that year.

What is "double dig"?

'

Respected Contributor

@FuzzyFace

Double dig is to dig the compacted or clay soil to the depth of your shovel and throw the soil in a wheelbarrow or tarp. You then dig deeper and do the same. 

Mix in organic material (manure, compost or peat moss) to the original soil, then shovel it all back into the hole. The soil should be nice and crumbly, making it easier to plant and improves drainage when watering.  Also adds nutrients with the addition of the organic material.

Denise
Trusted Contributor

@denisemb wrote:

@FuzzyFace

Double dig is to dig the compacted or clay soil to the depth of your shovel and throw the soil in a wheelbarrow or tarp. You then dig deeper and do the same. 

Mix in organic material (manure, compost or peat moss) to the original soil, then shovel it all back into the hole. The soil should be nice and crumbly, making it easier to plant and improves drainage when watering.  Also adds nutrients with the addition of the organic material.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denise, thanks a million for your explanation; my soild is pretty good but it can always use some help.