Esteemed Contributor

I'm ready to give up.  I have a section of my yard close to the house about 40' x 10' that i just can't seem to get in control.  This spring I had time to dig up (I didn't have a tiller) the whole portion keeping just a few plants and covered with mulch.  Weed as I may, weeds and especially grasses overtake.  I've tried for years to get control to no avail.  Could it be poor soil?

Honored Contributor

How many inches of mulch are you using?  4 inches is best.

There are things you can put on top of the dirt, then mulch to keep weeds down.  Something like a black fabric that blocks the sun.

Suggest you ask about them at a garden center.  

Respected Contributor

Believe me, there are many of us who have the same problem.  Its not the soil.  I have three or four large mulched areas in my landscape.  I tried the landscape fabric and ended up removing most of it after a few years.  The mulch breaks down and weed seedlings start growing in it.

I do weed the areas during the year. Usually the first weeding in Spring is a real chore, especially if I wait too long.  What I have learned that helps is in early Spring have a weed pre-emergent applied on top of the existing mulch, or directly after application of new mulch.

Honored Contributor

They say Preen is good to use, in addition to mulch.  It prevents seeds from germinating.  You can find it in Home Depot and Lowes.

Esteemed Contributor

Weeds are just devils.  Helps to till/hoe and mulch.  But they need more once they are established.  Decide on a plan and follow up before next spring.

Esteemed Contributor

@Biftu  If you have a neighbor who has a tiller, I would ask them if you can use it. If not, you can certainly use Preen. If you don't want to use Preen, go out every morning and pull what has sprouted overnight. Or, you could put down a weed barrier and not plant anything for a year.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.  I have a friend who has a tiller but was too lazy to borrow it, but I will do that.  I do put down four inches of mulch, but I will look into applying Preen or a pre-emergent.  Better luck next year!

Honored Contributor

@BiftuEven doing mulch and Preen, some weeds will break through like clover and some strange invasive weed called 'wild grape' or porcelain berry.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼