Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone here an arborist or have experience using an arborist

Do you like the job the Arborist did?

When we first moved into our house, there was a well established Maple tree that had been hit by lightning. The lightning had sliced about 1/8th of the tree all the way to the ground. The previous owner did nothing.

We hired an Arborist and he said he would nurse the tree back to health and another Maple right next to it. Every few years he came and trimmed and treated the tree. It still had the scar from the lightning but was quite a healthy looking tree.

After about 25 years our next door neighbor started to complain that leaves from the tree would fall in her yard and in her pool. She never used the pool but the leaves bothered her. We got "regular" tree guys to trim the tree away from the property line. That worked well for about 10 years. We would have the tree trimmed about every 2 years.

Then a "tree cutter" trimmed the tree 2 years ago. I have no idea what he did but the tree started to die. We had to take down the tree last year.

We had tried to find our tree Arborist through the years. But were unable to locate him. We don't know if he retired or moved or what. But I would have gladly paid whatever he charged because he really did nurse the tree back to health. 

I wish we had the Arborist handling the tree all these years. We would still have the Maple tree. He was well worth the extra money. He knew his stuff. I was told one time when you hire a professional take the price you think it is going to cost and double it.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla 

I agree about using a certified arborist. I've seen landscapers butcher too many trees in my neighborhood. 
Trees are expensive, so it's worth the money to go with a professional. 

Honored Contributor

Arborists have taken advanced courses over the usual landscapers and are experts at diagnosing plant problems. You are paying for their expertise.

Defnitely go with a certified arborist over a landscaper person. The fungicides are inserted into the ground so the roots can take it up and pass it on to the leaves above. If you use a fungicide on the leaves' surface it will just be a bandaid solution to the problem. Fungicides do wash off in rain you know.

The root application is the way to go because it remains inside the tree for a longer period of time. And yes it has to be done a few times so that the fungus gets killed or kept at bay.

Consider it medicine for your trees so that they stay alive to provide beauty and shade to your property.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I may have to get a estimate from someone else.

I emailed back him that I wanted a quote for the following services;

injection treatment for insects/iron defiency for the mid size oak

injection treatment for insects for the two smaller oaks

pruning of the magnolia 

He requotes me the same price. ($375)   Still including the two other oaks for iron defiency using a drenching method instead of injection; again including the magnolia for that unneeded treatment.  Then quoted $360 to trim the magnolia and a small maple.  

I don't know where he got the idea I wanted the maple pruned.  We had talked about it but I never said I wanted it done.

Need to listen to DH and call him and get this straightened out and also call someone else for an estimate.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Allegheny , how I went forward would depend on how much I valued the tree.  I lost five large hardwood trees in Dorian.  It was not a huge deal to me as I am surrounded by beautiful mature oak, maples and birch mainly.  The price of $600-$700 is fairly steep.  I don't think it is an unreasonable cost particularly if this arborist is insured and the trees are near to your house.  

If I didn't really care about the tree, I might remove it.  I would be asking the arborist how likely it is that the fungus would reappear after the two  treatments.  That would also inform my decision.  

Having said that, it might cost you as much to remove the tree but then at least you would know the issue was gone as well as limit collateral damage to your neighbour's trees.

Definitely get a second quote fro a reputable arborist and then make your decision.

Let us know what you decide.  Good luck!  LM

PS, I have a neighbour who had a large hardwood tree removed because it towered over his roof and was damaging the shingles.  It cost him $1000 to have it removed.  I am in Canada FYI.  I do not think the cost of the arborist is excessive for two treatments six months apart if he is a certified arborist and is insured.