Respected Contributor

In addition to their spring beauty, deer leave them alone.  I also not fond of fact that they bloom once but the greenery does fill in areas that deer would eat anything else.  I have variety of colors - some not as much to my liking so I am removing those in the fall.  The deep purple and a white are my favorites.  

My late neighbor also planted A deep purple variety that blooms so beautifully right now.  I think of her each time they bloom.  

Respected Contributor

The newer flashy Iris are stunning to be sure but I love the old fashioned purple Iris.  Pretty on a sunny day, they look even more beautiful and elegant in gently falling rain.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy  If you are on friendly terms with your neighbors, ask if they can dig one or two for you. They multiply like mad!  Your neighbors might just be looking to thin them. Other than that, you can plant the rhizomes in the fall. Order them from any bulb catalog.

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@ScrapHappy  If you are on friendly terms with your neighbors, ask if they can dig one or two for you. They multiply like mad!  Your neighbors might just be looking to thin them. Other than that, you can plant the rhizomes in the fall. Order them from any bulb catalog.

I don't know them, I couldn't ask.  They aren't neighbors next door, they're on the down the road, on the main street.  I know that the woman who lives there is on the HOA, I've caughter her coming from my backyard area, I'm sure snooping around.  I'd never approach her.  I'm looking on line for bulbs.  They seem pretty expensive.  Wasn't expecting that.

Esteemed Contributor

where do you live? I have a ton of dark purple Iris in bloom now.

Honored Contributor

We had such a late spring that ours are nowhere near blooming.  Maybe I'm a little strange, but I like the black ones.  I've bought a few from Schreiners over the years that mix in with my standard purple and a few other colors.

Valued Contributor

I love irises because they're so beautiful and easy to take care of. There are varieties that bloom twice, first in the spring and then again later in the season, almost into fall. And there's so many colors and combinations.

This week I noticed an iris sprouting in a rather neglected part of my yard. I didn't plant it so I know it was probably squirrels moving them around. I'll be on the lookout for any more.