Honored Contributor

This morning I was stopped in my dog-walking tracks by the sun glinting off a bit of silver on the ground.  At first I thought someone had stuck a gum wrapper on a lollipop stick.  Then I looked closer and it was this pretty mushroom that had sprung up in some new mulch.

I believe it's a Hare's foot inkcap "Coprinus lagopus."

DSCN0508.JPGDSCN0512 (2).JPG"

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

That is very pretty!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

Look but don't eat.........I get mushroom every year in my lawn when it's been wet and soggy.  Beautiful big pure white ones.  Almost as large as my hand.  That happens when builders leave wood pieces in the ground - - a nasty habit.

Honored Contributor

If I'm thinking of the same, I believe these pop up in our yardspring/summer. The ones we see are small, delicate.

Valued Contributor

Nature gives us so many pretty creations.

~ To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Remain Silent ~
Honored Contributor

If you look up the "Hare's foot inkcap - coprinus lagopus" you can learn more about it.   Obviously, no one is suggesting eating them.

These are armillaria from a few years ago.

November fungi 3.jpg

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach

So pretty, looks as if the fairies might dance under it.

Did you see any?  Ask Kiku, she might have seen them!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach

Hi @Drythe

I was looking but no luck.  Kiku doesn't like stepping on bark mulch so she was not helpful in the fairy search.

BTW, have you seen those adorable fairy doors in baseboards?  Simply adorable.  Or little mouse holes?  

Related imageRelated image

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@GingerPeach

Hi @Drythe

I was looking but no luck.  Kiku doesn't like stepping on bark mulch so she was not helpful in the fairy search.

BTW, have you seen those adorable fairy doors in baseboards?  Simply adorable.  Or little mouse holes?  

Related imageRelated image

@GingerPeach

Have never seen such a thing!  Love the second one, looks like a stick-on, no damage to wall.  Where did you find it? What games I could play on the cats.

Sorry about the lack of fairies, I was hopeful.  Miss Kiku is such a lady, no dirty feet’s for her.  She would be horrified at Robbie’s antics. He sat out in the cold with me last night to moon watch.

Not much has changed here with the cat situation. Ralphie is a sweetie when no other cats are around, but the animosity remains.  I will not send him back to the shelter, and can not think of breaking up our long term family.  It is hard to fully integrate a full grown cat into a existing family, no matter how much experience one has.

Sending you a Best Wishes Fairy  🧚‍♀️

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Re: Interesting mushroom

[ Edited ]

@Drythe

For years I had a baby gate attached to the walls on either side of a narrow area.  Back when I installed it, I had low baseboards.  When I eventually got new flooring, I got new, slightly higher baseboards, but didn't want the gate moved higher because then a tiny dog could easily crawl underneath.  (Of course, the baseboard guy had to have that explained to him!)

Instead of moving the gate higher, he notched out around the bottom of the baby gate.

Years later, when I only just started thinking of moving, I took out the gate and the baseboard notches remained.  Since I'm kind of lazy nor did I want to spend on new baseboards, I happened by chance to see some adorable fairy doors some folks had added to their own baseboards.

I haven't yet moved or done anything with the notches, but I was planning to add some doors (or mice doors) to the areas where the notches are.  Just maybe they'd even be a cute selling point.  One can only hope.  In the meantime, I'd enjoy them completely.

You can do a quick search for fairy doors in baseboard.  I like to first click on Images so I can see any options that catch my eye.

Kiku and I continue to send our best wishes to you and Ralphie.  Cats are going to be who they are, as you very well already know.  We admire your resolution.

Thank you for the Best Wishes Fairy.  She's a cutie pie!

p.s.  Here's a nice houzz story about them: 

https://www.houzz DOT com/ideabooks/113292678/list/fairy-doors-unlock-magic-at-home