Honored Contributor

Re: Info for wild bird feeders

One important thing everyone who has bird feeders is to keep them clean. A dirty bird feeder harbors disease to our feathered friends. 

Clean them with mild soap & warm water. Let air dry or use paper towels and then put in the seeds. 

I find at my house thistle feeders can get caked niger seed over time due to the rain getting into the holes! I remove the caked seed & do a thorough cleaning about 1 - 2X a season. I keep my feeders up year round.

One thing I have noticed this spring is the absence of common & house finches to the thistle feeder. I wonder if they have died due to disease? Many canary breeders throw their old seed out & wild finches can eat it. This has been a source of disease among the wild finches.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

The Costco and Ace mixes are pretty good, I agree. But we, like @Pennytoo like to mix our own, with black sunflower and safflower - keeping out the corn and nuts. Also, we like to keep out suit cakes as late as possible.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt I believe Duncraft is another catalog source for feed and feeders. 

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

Just learned that Drs. Foster & Smith website is no longer.  They sold some time ago to PETCO.  I've purchased wild bird seed from them for decades and am (frankly) shocked.  I've had to purchase a different brand from Amazon to meet winter needs.  Have noticed Drs. fruit & nut selection had fewer fruit pieces and more 'fill' of one seed being left in the bottom of the feeder.  I've had a ? about what was going on.  Will try this other brand and hope for the best.

@fthunt  I used to buy Kaytee fruit and nuts in Shop Rite. It had many fruits. I then went on auto delivery with Amazon. Hardly and fruits. I keep meaning to check the bags at Shop Rite to see if they still have the fruit. The birds still eat it though.

Trusted Contributor

We purchase our seed from Family Farm.  After comparing it to the expensive local Bird Store, we found it to be the same product.  Now I just go to that Bird Store for super cute gifts.

Frequent Contributor

I can't figure out why the Gold finches are not coming to my Nyjer thistle seed feeder either.  I thought maybe my feed was too old so I picked up a fresh bag at my local Wild Birds Unlimited store but I still rarely get them.  I used to have them there all the time. 

Janet in Georgia
Respected Contributor

@GeorgiaJanet wrote:

I can't figure out why the Gold finches are not coming to my Nyjer thistle seed feeder either.  I thought maybe my feed was too old so I picked up a fresh bag at my local Wild Birds Unlimited store but I still rarely get them.  I used to have them there all the time. 

DH is the birder in our house and he keeps wondering the same thing.  PLenty of house finch but that's not what he is looking for. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I used to get my supplies from Wild Birds Unlimited, but they moved their store to the south end of town which is quite a distance for me.  So, now i get what I need at Lowes or Home Depot.  I only use Black Oil Sunflower seed in my seed feeders and they also have a variety of suet cakes.  I have even found mealworms there in the past.  I get a nice selection of birds.

I did notice recently something that said you could sign into Petco using your Drs. Foster & Smith logon information, so figured they had merged or something.  I get my litter at Petco because I use the refillable containers, and the canned food.  Expensive dry food comes from the vet since one of my cats has to have the urinary formula, and what one eats they all eat.  

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal wrote:

@GeorgiaJanet wrote:

DH is the birder in our house and he keeps wondering the same thing.  PLenty of house finch but that's not what he is looking for. 

@Bridgegal, @GeorgiaJanet, I never had any luck with the thistle food.  I do sometimes get goldfinches and more often the red ones at my Black Oil Sunflower seed feeder.  Gave up on the thistle. 

Esteemed Contributor

I rely on Duncraft for specialty seeds and new feeders when I need them. Their products are always superb. I've also found that Menard's has a good selection of quality seeds.