Esteemed Contributor

Just learned that Drs. Foster & Smith website is no longer.  They sold some time ago to PETCO.  I've purchased wild bird seed from them for decades and am (frankly) shocked.  I've had to purchase a different brand from Amazon to meet winter needs.  Have noticed Drs. fruit & nut selection had fewer fruit pieces and more 'fill' of one seed being left in the bottom of the feeder.  I've had a ? about what was going on.  Will try this other brand and hope for the best.

Honored Contributor

Re: Info for wild bird feeders

i purchase mine from a store called WILD BIRDS UNLIMITED.

they have great products for the birds and for bird and nature lovers.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

I just received notice of that, @fthunt, via e-mail.

I get my mixed bird feed and suet at a local store (Southern States).  Great prices.

I used to get white millet but it's impossible to find this year!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

We are purchasing bird feed from Costco...the birds are thrilled and so is our wallet.

Honored Contributor

I have been buying Wagners four season wild bird food in a 12 lb bucket. The birds love it and I get it at Home Depot. The cost is around $8 so can’t beat it....and it isn’t junk....unfortunately the squirrels also love it...it’s loaded with sunflower seeds.
Honored Contributor

I also go to a Wild Bird Store.  They sell everything to do and for wild birds.

They might be a chain.  I don't know.  I enjoy going there.  It's small business owned.

Honored Contributor

I purchase mine from a place called Mother Nature's.  They used to be a Wild Bird Store, but went independent.  Great store.  Great selection.  Probably not the cheapest place, but I like to support them.

Honored Contributor

Lyric company makes great seed — thistle or niger seed, peanut pieces, sunflower seeds both shelled or hulled. I get them at a local nursery.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Ace hard ware stores, black oil seed is on sale right now.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Contributor

I only purchase safflower seed and black oiled sunflower seed. I mix 1/4 sunflower seed to 3/4 safflower. The squirrels and starlings don’t like the safflower seed so for the most part they leavemyfeeders alone. The nuthatches,  chickadees, cardinals, finches,etc all eat the safflower seed. I get my seed at walmart b/c that is the only place in our town to get seed or gardening supplies and Amazon is more expensive.