Honored Contributor

I have been wanting to put succulents in my west facing kitchen window for a while.  Today I went to a garden center that I knew carried a lot of them and bought three with pots, and the owner planted them for me.

She told me to try to wait about a month before I watered them again.  For those of you who have these indoors, do you feed them?  I read that you should feed them Miracle-Gro Succulent Plant Food when you water them.  That seems too often to feed them to me.  What do you all do?  Do you have any tips for me?  I definitely do not have a green thumb but thought I could manage these.

fullsizeoutput_16b.jpeg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Every now and again I fertilize mine with seaweed/fish emulsion.  I guess I've used some sort of Miracle-Gro type mix also (usually at 1/2 strength).

I feel the leaves; if they are flabby, they're fine, but if they start to feel a little flat or look a little ashen, I know it is time to water.  And sometimes fertilize - primarily in the spring/summer, but I'll hit 'em sometimes in the fall/winter, too.

It's not an exact science, and as far as I'm concerned, if they thrive, it's in spite of me, but also, I must be doing it right!

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Used to have them, now i have a cat that eats all house plants. I used some sort of cactus fert (NOT MiracleGro) everytime I watered, which wasn't often. The soil used for succulents drains very quickly, so adding fert with every watering isn't too much.

Honored Contributor

I have a couple succulents as houseplants and fertilize them each time I water.  But I water so seldom - once every three or four weeks in summer, when they are outdoors, and once or twice in winter when they are indoors -  that over-feeding isn't a worry.

Contributor

40ED7F1F-548E-46CB-861F-6E49FD73F857.jpegI fertilize mine about 3 times over the summer when they are actively growing.  Never in the winter.  Repotted for 3rd time last fall.  Most of these started out in the same little 10 inch diameter pot as a grouping I bought at Lowe’s.  I have no green thumb, but these have done very well on a sunny window sill.  Water every 2 weeks when growing...monthly in the winter.

Honored Contributor

Thank you @Sweetbay magnolia @x Hedge @ValuSkr and @dianajo_67!  I'll take your advice.

dianjo 67, your succulents look wonderful.

I hope I won't have to repot these for a while.  I really want to keep them in the same pots in my window sill.  How long approximately will they be okay in these pots?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Contributor

I’ve had to repot about every 14 months.  That big cactus was 6 inches tall 4 years ago.  The aloe type plants have babies pretty often and I end up repotting them to make space for the kids to grow.  I bought my the original grouping for my then boyfriend for Valentine’s Day 2014 and hoped our love would grow.  We got married 6 months later!  Of course, I try to keep our symbolic “love” alive and kicking.  Do think it’s possible to over fertilize and water but it’s hard if you use the right potting mix for cactus....maybe add some small pebbles, and have good drainage.  Good luck to you!

Contributor

Btw—The big cactus is now 3 feet tall.

Esteemed Contributor

Many years, @NickNack. Especially if you fertilize once in awhile.

Cogito ergo sum