Super Contributor

Ideas needed for herb garden

I am adding to my very tiny herb garden, I want to branch out and try new herbs. I have purple sage, which I love for making salt for meats, and chives, and rosemary. I am thinking about planting thyme, but now sure if I would use it. Ideas? Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Re: Ideas needed for herb garden

I have a small herb garden too and last year I found lemon thyme! Oh my gosh---what a lovely herb!! Made ice tea infused with it, put it in my chicken dishes and even made a compound butter using it. It lasted all winter too; I'm in wa state. Other than that, I have the usual stuff. 

Esteemed Contributor

Basil is a wonderful herb . . . and pretty, too! (I plant the purple basil as a potted plant on the patio, but also cook with it.) 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I plant Italian Parsley, oregano, chives, ( my chive plant is probably at least 10 years old) rosemary, basil ( which needs the flowers picked off every day or the plant will whither and make seeds early in the season) and a few types of mint.  Mint gets planted in a container, because it can take over a garden as it spreads.  I like the chocolate mint.

i grow garlic and onions too.

Look in your cupboard and see what spices you use often.  Fresh is always better than dried.

Honored Contributor

I grow dill and cucumbers and make my own dill pickles.

Valued Contributor

@nanny24

Lavender.  I did not see it mentioned.  I used to have lavender and mini roses in my herb garden and, along with all the other herbs, I would put together tiny  posy arrangements.

I used the colorful verbena  with the green herbs because it can take sun.  

Thyme is lovely, also.  I used to love to manicure them and try to make them look perfect.   It would keep me occupied for hours.

Looks like spring will get here, after all........Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I had different types of oregano. I cook Italian and Mexican quite a bit and enjoyed experiemtnting with the different types.  I also had two types of thyme and used it in poulty and Italian.  

Honored Contributor

@nanny24 I like using tyme in soup and meat marinades.I have rosemary and I use the wood6 stems to make skewers

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@nanny24

Whatever suits your fancy! And your tastes.

Are you thinking specifically of the culinary herbs?

Thyme goes great in chicken dishes and sugar snap peas.

I used to enjoy lovage, which grows tall and has a celery flavor. I planted borage for the pretty flowers, but you could also use that in drinks. Tarragon, which I use all the time, is a particular favorite - gives a licorice taste.

Then chervil, dill, (parsleys were mentioned), lemon balm & sage, and any of the basils are annuals. Parsley is a bi-ennial, but I would usually plant from seed every year. Cilantro, if you like that. (It's one of the healthier ones, but I don't care for it.)

I also used to plant chamomile to make a rinse for my daughter's blonde hair.

Also stevia is an herb, though I never planted that.

I did comfrey already (medicinal herb, not culinary), and my pet rabbit ate it down to the ground!

p.s. Dill is an annual as well, along with the basils.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

i live in Fl. Last fall we ended our snowbirding so I could finally have some nice potted plants.I bought pretty ceramic pots in various colors and planted chives,rosemary,dill,basil,oregano,thyme and flat leaf parsley in separate pots then set them out around on the lanai. I've kept them clipped back pretty well , mostly because I'm using them to cook with.They are as pretty as any decorative plant and they smell delightful and taste good. the only one I'm dissappointed in is the thyme.It grows but it's all dry and not at all good flavored.I was having some difficulty with the basil but decided to move it to a shady area and it's doing very well in the shade. I guess the florida sun was too much.All in all this is my best herb garden ever! I think I'll get rid of the thyme and put some mint in that pot.