Esteemed Contributor

I planted some Zinnia seeds today 🌼

[ Edited ]

It's been so long since I've planted flower seeds--always so busy this time of year, but thought I'd give it a try since things are slower this year.  These are Burpee "Fruit Smoothie."  I sure hope they turn out okay.  I've never had Zinnias, so this is new for me.  I like the colors on the package and if I only get a few flowers, I'll be happy.  😊

Zinnia.jpeg

Do you have any experience with Zinnias?  

Respected Contributor

Re: I planted some Zinnia seeds today 🌼

Yes, I plant them every year in my "wild flower" garden.  They are as beautiful as they are easy to grow - good choice!  

Esteemed Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

Yes, I plant them every year in my "wild flower" garden.  They are as beautiful as they are easy to grow - good choice!  

"wild flower garden" - I ❤️ that idea @FastDogWalker2. Thanks for sharing that they are easy to grow.  I'm looking forward to this pop of color.  

Honored Contributor

They probably are my favorite garden flower.

Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan  They are great for cut flowers. They do get kind of buggy later in the season and can get some sort of gray mildew, but they are pretty prolific. My grandmother planted two rows of zins every year and harvested the seeds. She never did anything else with them. So, I asked her why she grew them. She said, well to harvest the seeds, of course! That was my grandmother! Smiley Frustrated

Honored Contributor

They are so pretty, so many colors, sizes, butterflies love them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I planted chives, basil and bok choy seeds yesterday along with small basil plants. Did toms, carrots, lettuces, chards, peppers and other herbs too.  they are all in pots on my back deck. the flowers I grow are amazing frangrant lilies--have about 3 dozen or so that are throwing out stems now--some are already 3 feet tall-won't bloom til the end of June or early July---been using fabric pots instead of the reg containers--easier to move and are black so they will keep in the warmth ---couldn't find many plants or pots anywhere. things are starting to grow----nice to see tiny little green sprouts every day!!

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Good choice!  I plant them every year from seed, which I harvest the previous year.  Just save the flower heads after they die and dry up.  I keep them in a paper bag over the winter, then as soon as I can, I crush up the dried heads in my hands and scatter over the beds. Super easy!

I used to buy California Giants blend but haven't bought seeds in years.  Sometimes I seperate the dried flower heads by color but most often not.

Enjoy!

Trusted Contributor

The only thing that I know about Zinnia, is that ther are an annual plant and are native in America. They are very attractive and impressive flowers, that I know!

They are very beautifull indeed and enjoy your garden dear wildcat fan

The Supreme Happiness Of Life Consists In The Conviction That One Is Loved.
I come from the beautiful and sunny Athens Greece
Esteemed Contributor

I bet they will be beautiful!