Trusted Contributor

We share a BIG laurel hedge with our neighbors and every so often we trim it back severely. Right now it's at least 10-15 feet high so our neighbor offered to trim it back and asked us if it's ok with us. We of course said yes because we'd been thinking the same thing--it's getting WAY too big.

A few years ago I planted clematis along the base of the hedge hoping that it would eventually climb up the hedge and flower among the leaves. It took a while--2 or 3 years--for my dream to come true but it finally did this year, and I was so happy and excited.

I didn't realize that taking 4 feet off the hedge would also cut off the clematis flowers. I don't know if they also cut the vines off.

My neighbors gathered up the flowers, not just the clematis, and made a beautiful arrangement. It looks so elegant and simple and I like it but now I might have to wait another few years for my clematis to re-grow.

I should add that these people are good friends and the best neighbors we've ever had; this is really my fault for not mentioning the clematis and, anyway, they'd have to cut it back in order to shorten the hedge. I sure wish I'd thought of this before they fired up the trimmer.

Trusted Contributor

I don't know where you live, but every March I cut my Clematis back severely. It enables it to grow fuller and on new branches.

Esteemed Contributor

@FuzzyFace  Clematis, when well established as yours is, will probably continue to bloom this summer. It's a hardy plant. Give it time to grow new buds. You may be pleasantly surprised. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

I accidently cut mine at the base with a weed wacker two years in a row and that killed it. I was so mad at myself after doing so & should have known better. Mine was probably six years old or so, and not that big.

Honored Contributor

@wishmoon wrote:

I don't know where you live, but every March I cut my Clematis back severely. It enables it to grow fuller and on new branches.

@wishmoon  The shorter varieities do not require cutting back, but I find that mine die back, all varieities, anyway.

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@FuzzyFace  Clematis, when well established as yours is, will probably continue to bloom this summer. It's a hardy plant. Give it time to grow new buds. You may be pleasantly surprised. 

BirkilLady, you're right about clematis being hardy and another saying came to mind, which I'd forgotten, and gives me some hope:

First year they sleep.

Second yeat they creep.

Third year they leap.

I don't know why I living vining plants, such a clematis and sweet pears to use an example, but I do. When I was a little kid we always lived in apartments and I never got a chance to plant flowers or anything like that.

We bought our house 31 years ago and I totally enjoy going out, planting things and getting dirty, and watching the things I planted come up and give me beautiful flowers.

Honored Contributor

I think it will create new blooms for you. Have faith.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the other posters....I think it will come back this year with more blooms...