Honored Contributor

Re: I'm going to try a raised veggie garden this year.

[ Edited ]

Yep, the bunnies ate all the leaves off my beans plants. All I have left is a whole bunch of bean stalks LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

((ChiliPepper)) ((mousiegirl)) Rabbit fencing should work in both situations (roses and beans)-- at least 4-6" deep since they can tunnel under the soil slightly and make sure the fencing has small enough openings so they cannot squeeze through.
☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom wrote:
((ChiliPepper)) ((mousiegirl)) Rabbit fencing should work in both situations (roses and beans)-- at least 4-6" deep since they can tunnel under the soil slightly and make sure the fencing has small enough openings so they cannot squeeze through.

Thanks jazzmom.  I used to rescue rabbits, and that is how we built the runs, but my roses are spread out over an expansive area,  so fencing is out, but the cages seem to be working, except that every Sunday, when DH helps me in the garden, I have to hear about how expensive the wire is, to which I reply that it will be recycled into baskets when we plant things, this to keep the gophers from eating everything.

It costs a small fortune to have my garden, but it is my passion, so it is worth it, and since DH goes to the ball games a lot, what can he say, especially when I am here to remind him, lol.

Honored Contributor

Everyone needs a hobby and in our case its gardening.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:
My gardening experience with vegetables is limited to tomato plants in pots on the back porch, so this is going to be an adventure. Smiley Happy I've been looking at raised bed kits, but haven't decided on one yet. Any advice from those who have had success with raised veggie beds? Thanks!

Years ago in another home I had a raised garden.  I had it built to how I drew it.  Was made with large bricks.  Had some bricks with holes for draining at the bottem; around all sides.  Most of the water went into the ground.  I made it to fit me to sit down comfortable.  

All four sides on the top it had a wide sitting area so i could sit down and do my gardening.  Love that part.  I could rest my hand tools on the seat.   Place for my box of tiny plants or seeds.   I filled it with the best dirt around.  

Forming a curved angle (like a rainbow)  I used PBC plastic pipes on the inside edge of the deep planter, and placed plastic sheeting to hold in the heat or help keep animals out.  What I had done was make a small greenhouse effect.  

On days i was working in the garden I removed the plastic sheet.   Most of the time I folded the sheeting and placed it away for safe keeping to use later.  

I almost never had weeds because the wind blows the seeds of weeds along the ground.  That was the BEST part of a raised garden.  

I loved how the vines grew over, out, and down the sides of the raised garden.  It looked beautiful, just down right beautiful.  I placed the radishes, lettace, etc,  inside the garden and vine plants on the edges.  

Honored Contributor

Hi Gardeners!!!

I just wanted to check in & see how everyone's gardens are doing.

I went with the recycled pallet idea to make addition planting areas. My plants are doing well, though we could use more sun & a little less rain. 

Thanks for all the great ideas!!!

Everything looks great, nothing ready to pick yet except chili peppers!!!

Go figure huh???!!! LOL!!!