Honored Contributor

That doesn't sound like gardening to me. 

I won't live in an HOA, but code enforcement would be all over that.

Honored Contributor

@geezerette wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Watch out for snakes, especially when you're walking through it.

As well as watch out for other creatures who will use the tall grass for 'cover', mice, possums, raccoons, squirrels, etc., to invade your home.

And depending on where you live, ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, etc.

Also depending on where you live, fire.

@geezerette 

Oh, amen! I'm in the coastal, humid area of Savannah, GA!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

You must not have a HOA. Your "landscaping" would never be acceptable in our neighborhood where immaculate lawns are the norm. Smiley Happy

@BirkiLady 

We don't have an HOA either, but the neighbors would probably assume you're ill or injured and cut it for you, LOL!

It's a country thang.......

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

@PuppyLoverBob666  Could you post a picture?  I'd love to see.  It could look beautiful!  Or adandoned?  Which do you think?  Personally, I love wildflowers and the look of tall grass in fields.  I'm in a state where there are ticks so can't really walk through those fields anymore.  I used to lie down in those fields!  Times have changed for sure . Would love to see your irises and what other flowers are growing and blooming.

If you did want help with your yard, maybe there are neighborhood kids who would love to earn some extra $.  If you don't know where to find someone you could ask on nextdoor for your local area.

Hope you can post some pictures

Valued Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I sure wouldn't want to live next door to someone's knee-high grass!!!!!  Fortunately, we have an HOA.

I'll keep an eye out for that. Here in the pacific nw we're pretty careful about our water usage and and that kind of thing and customarily, hardly anyone waters their lawns anymore (people who do are almost social pariahs) so we'll just let the grass die off and see what happens in the spring. We don't have a drought (yet) but we have plenty of burn-able trees, grass, etc. so we're careful about that too.

Valued Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I have read about people doing this, also  instead of grass ,planting white clover ,i lost my grass that is over the septic tank last year, grubs killed it ,i planted clover, i like it,i do not spray any chemicals on my law , so lots of weeds, in my yard.Ticks here in Maine is a big problem.

First of all, I love Maine. It's so much like home here--mountainous, lush green growth, trees, and not as cold as Maine.

I don't know if you're trying to get rid of your clover but it's a good cover crop and bunnies love it. I have 2 or 3 (Henrietta and Lincoln) that come over for a snack most afternoons.

Valued Contributor

@Pook wrote:

@PuppyLoverBob666  Glad I don't live next to anyone who does that!!!  Skipping a week or so mowing is one thing but that is setting you (and probably your neighbors) up for every varmit appearing looking for rats and mice for food as well as a bug infestation and those ground bees will have a field day!!  In the end you might end up paying way more than your yard service to deal with all that!!

Thank you for your very kind response.

Valued Contributor

@moonandthestars wrote:

@PuppyLoverBob666  Could you post a picture?  I'd love to see.  It could look beautiful!  Or adandoned?  Which do you think?  Personally, I love wildflowers and the look of tall grass in fields.  I'm in a state where there are ticks so can't really walk through those fields anymore.  I used to lie down in those fields!  Times have changed for sure . Would love to see your irises and what other flowers are growing and blooming.

If you did want help with your yard, maybe there are neighborhood kids who would love to earn some extra $.  If you don't know where to find someone you could ask on nextdoor for your local area.

Hope you can post some pictures

I can't but I appreciate that at least one person isn't ready to give me 10 lashes on my bare back Smiley Very Happy

My DH and I are in our 70s with plenty of health challenges that preclude us doing much yard work, and we sure don't have $400/month for yard service. Our neighbors know us pretty well so they understand and don't make a fuss.

There is a large LDS community here and I've thought about asking a couple of missionaries to mow but I'm afraid they might get hurt and wouldn't want to be responsible for that. So I'll just wait till the grass dies and mow it all down. I'm sure it'll take several but that's about the best we can do for now.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo wrote:

I have a neighbor that's done this for the last couple of years and I'm about to go postal on her.  We live in the middle of a subdivision.  Her yard used to be the prettiest on the block when the previous owner lived there.  After she and her daughter moved in they completely let the property go.  The grass is knee high and turned to field grass.  When the grass seeds and the wind blows the rest of us get field grass growing in our lawns.  It has taken over my flower beds.  This month I've had to dig everything out of my flower beds, try to remove the grass and replant.  I'm exhausted and I still have 2 beds to go.  It's invading my lawn and all the neighbors have the same problem.  She leaves pine cones all over the driveway and sidewalk, doesn't bring in her garbage can for days, doesn't shovel snow off the walk.  I think she bought the house because she doesn't want to pay condo fees.  It's just not fair to the rest of us who try to have a nice yard and spend lots of money doing it.  I'm going to put a letter in her mailbox advising her that I'm going to look into city ordinances.  I'll be the neighborhood Karen.

@Scooby Doo I absolutely hear what you are saying, but please don't use someone's name in a derogatory way. The nice Karen's of the world don't deserve this any more than you deserve your sloppy neighbor.   

Honored Contributor

I really love the clover,in the yard,nice having bees, little white flowers. Back in my childhood,there was clover every where, people did not try to kill it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.