Honored Contributor

Re: I killed my nice green lawn with scotts weed and feed ):

I used Scott's for around 5 years. It has a chemical that our town banned, so I had to switch to the local nurseries brand.  I had no real issues with it.  Occasionally too much would fall out of the spreader and cause a rust/brown spot.  It always went away.  Could takes weeks.  Depends on the rain.  From time to time I still have the same problem with the new brand I'm currently using.

Respected Contributor

Just jazzmom, thank you for the information about zoysia grass and what to use on it !
Respected Contributor

GCR18....thank you for your input ! I'm a novice at this lawn chemical business ):
Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

Most of the weed and feeds are toxic to zoysia type grasses, so if you've got zoysia grass, that's the problem. You may not have planted zoysia yourself, but if a neighbor has it, some could have crept into your lawn without your knowing it..

If you don't mind, what do you used to kill weeds in zoysia? And what fertilizer is best? I bought a home with zoysia and it would not be my first choice for grass. I regularly have a problem with cinch bugs in it, too. Grrrr. 

Thanks for any help.

pupwhipped. As a general rule, once a zoysia lawn is established you can pretty much forget weeds. The zoysia will crowd them out. If you've got a persistent weed, then a carefully applied dose of a weed killer like Roundup directly to that weed will kill it and the zoysia will happily reclaim the space. Just don't get any weed killer on the zoysia itself. Pretty much any pure lawn fertilizer is fine for zoysia as long as it doesn't have a weed killer in it. The weed and feed combos are the killers of zoysia. And I'm afraid cinchbugs, grubs and other insects are still a problem with zoysia.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
Just heartbreaking to look at my lawn....it looks worse today than yesterday. It has killed individual blades of grass throughout my whole lawn along with many crispy burned areas, while the weeds look green as ever. Also, zoysia is one of the grasses that is safe to use this on according to Scotts on their website !! I feel worse for some of the others who used it , they have much bigger lawns than I do, and the pictures of their large areas of burned grass that they have posted , are sickening. This must be a defective product, since there are endless cases of destroyed lawns on the reviews website.
Honored Contributor

My dh won't use any Scotts products. He thinks they are absolutely terrible! He only uses pure products ie. urea to green up the grass, etc...

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

I empathize with you, Azcowgirl, as I have experienced the same thing from using Scott's.  I distinctly remember standing on the porch and helplessly watching our lawn die.  It was a miserable feeling, especially because I thought at the time that I was doing something good.  

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
Hi mrsG......yes. I'm sorry it happened to you too. Its a helpless sinking feeling, and it's embarrassing when it looked nice one day, and the next it looks bad. DH keeps saying, isn't there something you can do..Maybe it needs water !! But nothing is working to bring it back at this point. One thing is for sure, I won't use the stuff again, and at least they will issue a refund on the product.
Respected Contributor

ID2.....thanks for your input ! I will look into natural products such as urea from now on.
Respected Contributor

Gardenman....thank you for your info. About zoysia. I'm pretty sure that's what I have .