Respected Contributor

I killed my nice green lawn with scotts weed and feed ):

[ Edited ]
I can't bear to look at it...makes me sick. I worked hard to get it green and lush and now there are dead brown patches all over. Sure wish I would have read the reviews, lots of people have used it and ruined their lawns . I followed directions to the letter. I'll never use a product like this again. eta; after a closer inspection today, it looks like the grass, not the weeds,has chemical burn from where the spreader released more of the product. The roots look like they may still be alive so I'm hoping maybe it might not be totally dead in those areas.
I wish it would have said somewhere in the instructions, warning...do not let product build up anywhere or it will leave brown chemical burns....but alas, I saw nothing to that effect .
Valued Contributor

Re: I killed my nice green lawn with scotts weed and feed ):

Oh Nooooooo!  I am so sorry.  I did something similar once to a fabulous hedge (took years to grow it).  But...I went to a good nursery and told them what happened and they gave me a mineral antidote to add to the soil and it corrected it.  Go to a good nursery, talk to a horticulturist , and I bet they can give you something to turn it around.

I live in California....we are in a drought and I have to kill off part of our lawn because everyone in the state has to reduce water consumption by 36%.  Maybe I should just throw some Scotts Weed and Feed on it and be done with it!!!  

Respected Contributor

We use it twice each year and have for about 10 years.  DD uses it on their lawn also.  We've never had the slightests problem with it.  I might ask (not to insult you) if you are finding brown patches where there were weeds that you couldn't see- those that run under the grass and eventually kill it off.  We have something called Virginia Buttonweed nd also Dove weed which you can only see when it blooms with very tiny white and purple flowers. It can destroy a lawn in no time. If you have something like this, the weed and feed varieties will kill the weeds and leave brown patches, which will quickly regrow.  Sorry you've had so much trouble.

Honored Contributor

A couple of years ago this company was brought up in a class action suit because of a product they sprayed, drifted on evergreens, killed them.  They lost the suit.  I'd be ckecking in with this company to question them on the product you used.

Trusted Contributor

That is such ashame what happened. Years ago I did the same thing. I bought kill the weeds fertilize the lawn all in one bag. Put it on killed almost my whole lawn cause there was so many weeds.
Honored Contributor

Most of the weed and feeds are toxic to zoysia type grasses, so if you've got zoysia grass, that's the problem. You may not have planted zoysia yourself, but if a neighbor has it, some could have crept into your lawn without your knowing it..

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Zoysia is an intermittent grass where in colder climates like the NE, the grass goes dormant in October and remains that way until the weather warms up sufficiently say like May.

It's also possible you have other diseases causing the browning of your lawn such as Summer Patch which is a fungal disease.

And its also possible that the brown patches are from the dead weeds. Can't tell without photos of healthy and problem areas. Contact your local extension service too for their advice.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]
Thank you everyone !

ednapsych; I'm glad you were able to save your wonderful hedge (:

perk up; I do have a lot of weeds so that may be what's going on

Pink dogwood; there were many complaints to Scotts about this product, they offered an apology and a refund of purchase price ):

Vickiv; I'm sorry you lost your lawn too...I'd rather have my weeds than a dead lawn....at least they were green (:

Gardenman; thank you for the suggestion to contact the ext. service
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Most of the weed and feeds are toxic to zoysia type grasses, so if you've got zoysia grass, that's the problem. You may not have planted zoysia yourself, but if a neighbor has it, some could have crept into your lawn without your knowing it..

If you don't mind, what do you used to kill weeds in zoysia? And what fertilizer is best? I bought a home with zoysia and it would not be my first choice for grass. I regularly have a problem with cinch bugs in it, too. Grrrr. 

Thanks for any help.

Honored Contributor

@Azcowgirl

This is from our fact sheet here about zoysia grass:Fertilize zoysia lawns in late May and again in mid-July with one pound of actual nitrogen per application. Established zoysia requires less fertilizer than most turfgrasses and can endure periods without fertilization.

There are several preemergence crabgrass control
materials that homeowners can use. These will control many summer annual weeds. A dense lawn is the best defense against weeds. Non-selective herbicides can be used as a spot treatment. Remember, these herbicides will kill grass, even
zoysia. If you choose to use chemical weed control, contact your local Cooperative Extension office for specific recommendations.

Fact sheet on zoysia in pdf. format

Zoysia - Love It or Leave It - Cornell Cooperative Extension

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼