Respected Contributor

Re: I have a decision to make... about bunnies

Personally I couldn't live with myself if I let my dog kill them. We had a baby bunny in our yard and my dogs never seemed to care much.Of course my dogs were older. I would call someone and have them trapped and moved to a different loacation. 

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Thankyou for all your opinions.... which is why I asked you all.  So looks like Buddy is not free to roam the yard anymore for awhile. That is what I will do.... once the bunnies have come out from under the deck... I will use a rabbit deterrent product to keep them away. 

Do not worry... I will not let harm come to the babies under my watch.... do the best I can.

Try lion manure from the zoo around the perimeter of your yard. That will keep them out of you yard once they are old enough to leave. It will also keep them from eating the tops off any flowers  you may have.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden---oh lord, don't get me started about the squirrels!!! Rats with bushy tails!!! Now the bunnies in my yard don't eat anything except the usual stuff. None get into my veggies as they are in pots on my back deck. But if I were an avid gardener and had lots of yummy things for them to munch on, my tune would change---have lots of deer coming thru too but again, they don't eat anything but the wild stuff in my yard----HOWEVER---- if they even come near my many lily plants---well then--it is war!!!!Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

UPDATE

I made  a fix so that my dog can not get under the deck... which is how he was able to grab the baby bunnies.. plus I was worried about him getting stuck under there!.   So at least now I can let Buddy out in the yard to do his business and not worry about him getting to the babies...  there is still access to under the deck... just not for dogs.

As far as bunnies out in the yard... hopefully any that venture through the yard are FAST.   So far Buddy has never caught a grown bunny in the yard other than the babies.  Bunnies are very fast.... But any slow bunnies ..... This may be out of my control.

What I find interesting is that Buddy has had the two baby bunnies each out on the lawn three times... he never killed them. He just sniffed them and treated them like his squeaky ball.. because the bunnies do squeak.  Being that he never killed them even with them in his mouth...I guess that is the best case scenario.  

I will get some rabbit deterrent stuff later that is non toxic that has an odor rabbits do not like.. I think it is made of blood, cinnamon and some other natural stuff.   and put this around the opening of the deck areas... 

Respected Contributor

Thanks for taking steps to give the bunnies a chance.  Is Buddy a Golden Ret?  Retrievers are historically bred to be hunting dogs with "soft mouths"  So when they retrieve the game they don't bruise or ruin the body of what they pick up.  Still, that only goes so far when left to their own devices.  Good for Buddy. 

Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

Thanks for taking steps to give the bunnies a chance.  Is Buddy a Golden Ret?  Retrievers are historically bred to be hunting dogs with "soft mouths"  So when they retrieve the game they don't bruise or ruin the body of what they pick up.  Still, that only goes so far when left to their own devices.  Good for Buddy. 

@candys mine   He is a black lab. 

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaidenEven Better!  Love the Labrador Rets!

Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

@SeaMaidenEven Better!  Love the Labrador

@candys mine  I had a wonderful Female Golden....lost her last March to Cancer🙁.  But I had 10 wonderful years with her❤️

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden   Can't you take your dog(s) out on a leash to do their business, or are they usually in the yard during the day, in general? 

There are wild bunnies here.  They and/or rats, are eating my roses, eat as much as they can reach, so have deformed, lopsided roses.  

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@SeaMaiden   Can't you take your dog(s) out on a leash to do their business, or are they usually in the yard during the day, in general? 

There are wild bunnies here.  They and/or rats, are eating my roses, eat as much as they can reach, so have deformed, lopsided roses.  

My yard is very nice and big and park like fully fenced......it is for the dog to be loose...not for bunnies to make their home....Bunnies come in at their own risk.  We use to have raccoons and possums ....they learned that the dog yard was not a good home😄