Honored Contributor

Re: I have a decision to make... about bunnies

I'm sure your heart of gold will guide you. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Sheila P-Burg wrote:

@MalteseMomma  .......  Maybe look on Amazon for a hawk decoy.

@Sheila P-Burg  ...lol  I already have two...lol  plus some balloons,nothing at all scares them away.  I'm stnding by the window  and banging on it  they fly to the roof and then return........lol

They are very determined birds.lol  I guess for Parrotts to survive year round in NJ they have to be.

I used to like them(still do) I even tried teaching them to takl but that was back when there were only 10 of them.......lol

I guess I should stop feeding fro a while.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

As  side note ,be carefull of the dog getting under the deck,we had a nice deck ,and one dog ,a lab. got stuck under our deck ,it was during as northeaster,i had let all 4 out ,went to let them in,just was a few minutes,could not find brodee ,yelled,got snow gear on walk in blinding snow ,feared she got in water,we lived on a  large water, i was scared too death could not see, finally heard a wimber, followes that she had got under there,a small hole was in it , i had to break open the cover to get her out.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Respected Contributor

Not only is it appalling to think that a person would allow or encourage their pet dog to hunt and kill defenseless (baby) animals, it also could endanger the dog and its owner as who knows what diseases or insects wild animals could be carrying.

That is exactly how coronavirus and many other diseases spread--from the killing and eating of wild animals.

Hopefully the mother is still alive and was not killed so she can care for the babies.

Rabbits grow very quickly--just leash him until they are old enough to grow up and become independent.

Next year seal off your deck with lattice to prevent animals from using it.

Or as others have said, contact a local wild animal rescue.

Not killing creatures does not make you a softie--it makes you part of the philosophy of live and let live.  Domestic dogs should never be allowed to become savage mindless hunters.

Honored Contributor

Keep a look out for mom,hope she is ok.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

We have the same problem no thanks to one of our neighbors.

They keep having babies under our shed. Seems like female baby sticks around to have babies under the shed while the rest go??? Seems to be a process that happens over & over.

The last one that had babies is now trying to dig large holes in the yard to have babies in instead of under the shed. That's not happening. We spend too much time to have a nice lawn. DH ran over one hole while mowing. Did not kill the babies but we found them in the Dayliles.

DH found more babies in one of the veggie gardens.

The stray cat next door always shows up trying to get them. I chase it off if I see it but I'm not going to stand watch. LOL!!!

The bunny shows up every evening to start re-digging holes we have filled with top soil. We keep chasing it off.

Good Luck since I think they will continue having babies there just like these keep having babies.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

Oh my, there is NO WAY I could bring myself to let the dog do what comes naturally.  I could not live with it.  I would look up how long it takes for baby bunnies to grow up, though.  

@Peaches McPhee 

Not long. They go from a hairless little bitty thing to little fury bunnies really fast. LOL!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Seems like bunnies are all over this year. I'm in North Texas, daughter in East Texas and we both have bunnies running around. They run around and play and then scoot through the back fence to a wooded area and they are fast. I haven't seen any babies nor has DD. We both have Aussies and when they go out bunnies just scoot through fences. I think my dog is used to them and barks to say hi. 

I have never harmed an animal but after armadillos tried to destroy my lawn, snake bit me in my back yard (2 day hospital stay) and a raccoon caused damage in my attic and garage I sure came close. Snake got away, armadillos captured and released in the wild, raccoon also trapped and released.  Cost me over $1,500 in trapping, repair and animal proofing home. So it's probably best I don't have a BB gun. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

As  side note ,be carefull of the dog getting under the deck,we had a nice deck ,and one dog ,a lab. got stuck under our deck ,it was during as northeaster,i had let all 4 out ,went to let them in,just was a few minutes,could not find brodee ,yelled,got snow gear on walk in blinding snow ,feared she got in water,we lived on a  large water, i was scared too death could not see, finally heard a wimber, followes that she had got under there,a small hole was in it , i had to break open the cover to get her out.

@goldensrbest   Yes....I told my husband this was another fear of mine.....my goodness...dogs are a lot of responsibility!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Figure about a month before they will start moving about away from the deck. After you no longer see them under the deck, get lattice and then use some sort of screening behind it (use a hot glue gun to adhere it) and put the lattice into place. The screened lattice prevents insects from flying in and making nests below the deck or living in the soil.

My contractor when our deck was built years ago did this for us and used pressure treated wood about 8' wide by 2' diameter and attached the wood to the lattice so anything would have difficulty digging under it.

Another thing you can do to deter any animals or insects from living below there is get a cement person to apply about a 3" layer of cement below the deck. They use a hose and then someone beneath the deck spreads it out and sort of smooths it. It doesn't have to be smooth like a sidewalk is, because it acts as a vermin deterrent. This solution worked for us to get rid of camel cave crickets that were living below the deck and reproducing in the soil. It also helped to get an exterminator to use a pyrethrin based insecticide (derived from marigolds) to kill them first. We had the cement put down in early March before the shutdown and then the lattice was redone and put back into place again.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼