Honored Contributor

Re: I have a decision to make... about bunnies

[ Edited ]

Mom is around, for sure, put up prptection for the babies, leave opening just enough for mom to come, she will be feeding them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

you said............until the babies open their eyes...........with that I would think it not difficult to tell an adult Mother Rabbit from babies  All look alike - way back under porch - ??

Call Animal Control and do not harm those bunnies - take dog for walks

Respected Contributor

Oh my, there is NO WAY I could bring myself to let the dog do what comes naturally.  I could not live with it.  I would look up how long it takes for baby bunnies to grow up, though.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest 

lol  I used to catch chipmunks when I was a kid. I love them . I have a friend that hand feeds them......lol  so darn cute !

Since I am a birder,I am dealing with a large flock of green parrotts.( here in NJ) They are messing up my property so much,screaming loudly all day, eating everything in sight/pooping everywhere and growing bigger every day. Since I'm so sick I cannot hose everything down  to clean up, so I'm throwing pails of water on my stairs..lol 

Early in the year the presence of a Hawk scared them away for a while and life was good ,but now  they are back .......  ;(

Where is that hawk when you need him??????..lol

Honored Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

I would be quarantining my dog and letting the bunnies grow up. Baby bunnies grow very fast. Had a cat once,  that brought a live baby and I mean tiny newborn baby bunny inside once. and then found one he was sleeping with in his cage----it was dead----he was quite the hunter---yes there are a ton of bunnies in my yard too. I am in Woodinville, WA but then I have coyotes, and bobcats around for control. They are cute rascally rabbits!!!

@wagirl  I live in Renton... Rabbits are everywhere now...like squirrels. Thankfully we have a lot of coyotes here as well as Bobcats... and they pretty much eat them up. 

Respected Contributor

In NO WORLD in NO LIFETIME would I EVER DREAM OF ALLOWING ANIMALS TO BE HUNTED OR MAIMED/KILLED in ANY FASHION on my PROPERTY - for ANY REASON EVER.

The idea is flat out appalling and INHUMANE.

Honored Contributor

Thankyou for all your opinions.... which is why I asked you all.  So looks like Buddy is not free to roam the yard anymore for awhile. That is what I will do.... once the bunnies have come out from under the deck... I will use a rabbit deterrent product to keep them away. 

Do not worry... I will not let harm come to the babies under my watch.... do the best I can.

Trusted Contributor

OMG! Did I read this right "let the dog out to do what it wants to do". The thought of that makes me absolutely sick. My goodness. What a horrible way to kill an animal. It is a living breathing animal not a plaything for a dog.

Leave the babies alone. They will be old enough to leave on their own soon. Then find a way to block them from getting under your deck.

Trusted Contributor

@MalteseMomma  .......  Maybe look on Amazon for a hawk decoy.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Look for a wildlife rehab/rescue center who can take them, to let your dog "do what he wants to do with them" is beyond cruel and heartless, IMO.

I couldn't live with myself, or my dog, if I let that happen.

It is not beyond cruel because it is what dogs and rabbits do and to me, we have to respect their rights to be dogs and rabbits.  It is difficult for us to comprehend and deal with but it is what it is.

No, I wouldn't want a yard full of rabbits either.  While they are cute, they will eat your plants, dig holes in the yard and bring ticks into your yard.  And they multipy like crazy.  It can get to be a real problem.

If you can find a kind way to deal with it's great, but all in all rabbit populations need to be controlled or they can really get out of hand quickly.