Honored Contributor

I have a decision to make... about bunnies

[ Edited ]

So we have wild bunnies in our neighborhood.  I am not against them... but one bunny had some babies under our back deck.... my dog is a bunny hunter.  He found the baby bunnies and we have had to save them from his mouth three times over the last day.....Now we can not let the dog loose in the back yard as he is obsessed withs bunny hunting.

I do not want bunnies under my deck... for many reasons.  Cute as they are,  they are pests. If one dies under my deck It will smell... etc.... 

So my options are to let the dog out and let it do what it wants to do... and not try to think about it....

OR>>>>>Not let my dog loose in the yard for weeks... until the baby bunnies open their eyes  and hope when I do  that the dog does not eat them then....

Either way I do not want the bunnies... but I am a softy( already saved the baby bunnies lives (there are two)  but it is just a pain in the neck having to contain the dog.....  and not really possible for a long time...... and  having to worry about the dog getting to them....

So what do I do?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: I have a decision to make... about bunnies

Is the Mother rabbit around?   How many bunnies?

Can you call your animal control officer and/or the SPA and request they come and capture and take?

Animal Control takes skunks - bats - etc.

Regular Contributor

Can you call Animal Control from your town? They might be able to help you.

Honored Contributor

Look for a wildlife rehab/rescue center who can take them, to let your dog "do what he wants to do with them" is beyond cruel and heartless, IMO.

I couldn't live with myself, or my dog, if I let that happen.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Please do not kill those bunnies,that is a terrible thing to do,what if they were puppies, kittens, mom is taking care of them ,try and get help for babies,and mom.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden 

While I respect your feelings about not wanting Bunnies under your deck, as an animal lover,I am shocked at your even considering letting your dog get at them and painfully kill them.  Sorry,but  OMG!

Maybe a wildlife center can help you, please give them a call .

Personally,I would just let them grow up and leave,even if somehow  you coxe  them out safely , then get chicken wire all around the base of your deck so they or anything else cannot return again.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do...........(besides your dog killing them)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

since most rabbits look alike...I have no clue who the mother rabbit is.  occationally over the past year I have seen one in the back yard eatting grass... my dog chases it and it gets away. We assumed it was living under the deck.... but just guessed..

. Since the Mother rabbit probaby only comes to the deck at night  to feed the babies. Mother bunnies .they stay away during the day to deter animals from the nest I read.... .. it would be pretty impossible to catch her.. and the babies are way back under the deck... not possible for a person to get under it as it is very low.    I really do not know how my dog got them... assuming he crawled under the deck as he can fit... and grabbed them.

chicken wire is not an option... but I will use some kind of powdered rabbit repellent once I figure out what to do with the babies... I have a feeling that the dog will get to them eventually... especially when the babies start to come out.  Right now the baby rabbits eyes are still shut... so they are just days old.  The thought of the dog getting them  disturbs me, but, I do not see any other option.... it is a reality. 

Honored Contributor

I have been dealing with chipmunks every where, holes all over, i just can not harm them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Can you close off access to under your deck so the bunnies would have to find a new home?   I would not let my dog hunt the bunnies.  

Honored Contributor

I would be quarantining my dog and letting the bunnies grow up. Baby bunnies grow very fast. Had a cat once,  that brought a live baby and I mean tiny newborn baby bunny inside once. and then found one he was sleeping with in his cage----it was dead----he was quite the hunter---yes there are a ton of bunnies in my yard too. I am in Woodinville, WA but then I have coyotes, and bobcats around for control. They are cute rascally rabbits!!!