Honored Contributor

Re: I am so ready for spring! What have you bought new for this

Nothing yet---altho I did buy more lily bulbs last fall that are planted and have strawberry plants coming in April. Been to wet and cold to do much outside yet---I usually buy veggie starts but no yard junk---not into that much---

Respected Contributor

I planted Kananchoes, Pentas, impatiens, vinca, marigold, one snap dragon. We'll see what holds up here in steamy Florida. Just got a Hybiscus as a gift, so I just planted that in the ground, flowering like crazy already.
Respected Contributor

That was supposed to be Kalancho, lol.
Trusted Contributor

My garden was a mess.😱  It has suffered severe neglect over the past 2 years.  My mother was sick and in her last year of life 2 years ago, so I spent that year flying back and forth to Virginia to help care for her.  DH is not much into outside stuff, so everything pretty much died or was eaten by the birds.  No sooner was my mother laid to rest than DH suffered a serious fall that led to one health problem after another, so last year was spent more or less inside caring for him.

Now I'm looking at my beds and decided to spend the winter re-doing as many as possible before the heat sets in in May.  I planted two new fruit trees, dug out the oldest and most pitiful-looking rose bushes and replaced them with new own-root roses and ordered a ton of stuff--bulbs, bare-root perennials, starter-size (4-inch) perennials and a couple of flats of annuals, mostly pansies and dianthus, for winter color.  Got out the tiller and am tilling my homemade compost, peat moss, coir and soil amendments into each bed as I go.  Got out the SawzAll and trimmed back the badly neglected trees and shrubs and put the pieces through the chipper/shredder to add to the compost.  Been working since October as time permits and am about 2/3 done.  Overseeded the newly tilled beds with poppies and Johnny Jumpups to get something going before the new plantings start coming up.

So far, looking pretty good.  I plant to put in another tree or two and finish up where possible.👍

I've never bought plants from the Q; only buy jewelry here.  I don't plant to start because I already have numerous providers from whom I have gotten great nursery stock over the years.

Trusted Contributor

@luvmyteddy4I also purchased some new solar lights and a new windspinner.

Honored Contributor

Potting soil.

Honored Contributor

I ordered two large red pots from Gardener Supply and picked up a couple of bags of potting soil at Costco but that is all so far.  

Super Contributor

I bought 2  glass garden bells from Barbara King.  Can't wait for warmer weather to hang them.Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@EZ shopper wrote:

I bought 2  glass garden bells from Barbara King.  Can't wait for warmer weather to hang them.:smileyhapp

the bells are so pretty and I opened my teapot in purple this morning.

Honored Contributor

Busy assessing what is needed. First off need pine nuggets for mulch on bare areas. 
Then it will be to assess which roses need pruning of winter damage. Right now it's too early to start pruning the roses in our area.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼