Trusted Contributor

We have lost almost all the beautiful plants/flowers we bought in spring (and some that we've had for years) because of our 117 degree heat here in the Pacific NW.  The flowers look like someone took a match to them they are so burnt and singed. The ones not planted in the ground we moved inside but the in ground ones won't survive. We've watered them every night after sundown but they just could not take the heat.  

Trusted Contributor

I feel for you, I really do.

I haven't really lost many plants to extreme heat (other than seeing my grass burn up on occasion), but these past years I have so much deer damage and I lose a lot to those creatures.

Even if the plants survive, which many do, they look so bad.  

These past few years I'm sometimes telling myself that a person like me shouldn't even try to garden, because it hurts me so to see my plantings ravaged this way, but I feel an obligation to try to take care of what I do have.

Honored Contributor

@LuvmyLab   Now you know how those of us who live in warm climates struggle to grow things.  You live in what is normally the ideal climate to grow plants and can probably grow just about anything.  Us desert rats have learned there are many plants like petunias, pansies, lobelia, etc. that we just can't grow.  Hopefully you'll be back next year to having a beautiful garden and we'll still be struggling. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

The flowers get fried and die and the grass gets fried and dies. But the *%$#* weeds keep coming up green and healthy. Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@LuvmyLab   Now you know how those of us who live in warm climates struggle to grow things.  You live in what is normally the ideal climate to grow plants and can probably grow just about anything.  Us desert rats have learned there are many plants like petunias, pansies, lobelia, etc. that we just can't grow.  Hopefully you'll be back next year to having a beautiful garden and we'll still be struggling. 

———————

@Kachina624 Is Albuquerque too cold to have flowers over the winter? I plant pansies, violas, alyssum, dianthus etc. in the fall to go through until spring.

Honored Contributor

Re: I am so bummed

[ Edited ]

@tucsongal   Pansies seem to do okay but we've gotten down as low as - 14° since I've lived here which killed even shrubbery so no other flowers.  It freezes every night, usually in 20s but often below. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor
I struggle with gardening every summer here in FL. There are very few annuals that can take our intense afternoon sun. Everything wilts, including me. Wishing a more normal summer for your garden next year.