Honored Contributor

Re: I Should Water This Plant Every...

My peace lilly lets me know when she is thirsty - she gets a little droopy.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

My peace lilly lets me know when she is thirsty - she gets a little droopy.

You pay attention.  A little droopy can become a little goner without remediation.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I don't bother.  I tend to over water.

Honored Contributor

I have killed a cactus before. Cat SurprisedCat Embarassed

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I find watering once a week usually works but I do stick a finger in soil to make sure it is dry.  I water all my house plants every Saturday.

I water my house plants (including orchids) once per three weeks during the winter and about once per 2-2.5 weeks in summer. I think plants can adjust to the lack of water. They don't grow as fast as if I'd water them more often, but they still grow too much for me. Alreay running out of space by the windows. This is not a good example of watering scheduel, but I just forget and looks like my plants have been slowely train to my schedule. I may have killed maybe two or three (our of 20), but only when they were freshly planted. 

Respected Contributor

@AdMac Welcome to the boards!  I agree with you.  I tend to underwater rather than overdo it.  Learned the hard way when I first started to cultivate house plants decades ago.

Most seem to do better with a bit of water neglect from me, but some just don't survive no matter what I do.

Honored Contributor

Most of my "houseplants" spend the summer outside on a shaded deck and the winter inside an unheated garage.  During winter I only water about once a month.