Honored Contributor

I Should Water This Plant Every...

For people like me who have a black thumb, I thought I would pass this chart along.

Trusted Contributor

Re: I Should Water This Plant Every...

I feel sorry for my plants the moment I get them.

I keep trying anyway.

Valued Contributor

Thank you @lolakimono I'm a black thumb too...

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I've been sticking with succulents, they're very hard to kill!

Honored Contributor

I water my plants every 5 or so days during the Winter and more frequently during the Summer, they are in a very sunny window

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

I haven’t had house plants in years even though I have a black thumb too.

Kittens are attracted to house plants which was a constant battle.

Guess who won?

Esteemed Contributor

@OKPrincess  Keep the kittens! Enjoy plants outside. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

@OKPrincess  Keep the kittens! Enjoy plants outside. 

Oh I kept the kittens. This was several years ago and I haven’t tried plants since. 

Honored Contributor

Watering is something that's insanely variable. Everything affects the required frequency of watering. A clay pot typically requires watering more frequently than a plastic pot as the clay loses moisture from every surface. A small plant in a big pot takes less frequent watering than a big plant in a small pot. A well draining soil may need watering every day while a moisture retentive soil can go a week or more between waterings. A plant that gets more light typically needs more water. A plant sitting atop a radiator needs a lot more water. Even room temperature plays a role.

Your best bet is to figure out your preferred watering schedule (daily, every other day, once a week, etc.) and then pick the right soil, pot and location to accomodate that watering schedule. If you like to water frequently then a coarser, well draining soil is best and a clay or porous pot. You can let the plant get pretty rootbound also. (Kind of how bonsai trees are grown.) If you water infrequently, then a moisture retentive soil in a plastic pot is a better option for you and you'll want a bigger pot to hold more soil.

With a bit of planning pretty much every plant can be potted to fit your watering schedule and thrive. Just don't leave most plants drowning in water. They typically need some air in the soil except for plants like cyperus which love to sit in water all the time.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I consider caring for (and encouraging) houseplants to thrive and add beauty, an art.  There's not really any one boilerplate method, other than observation and time, for the secret sauce.

Of course some species are more forgiving than others.  And I think you have to want it, to learn the skill of it.

My first job out of college was tending houseplants and planting dish gardens.  It's still an abiding love of mine.

🌵☘️💧

Cogito ergo sum