Esteemed Contributor

Re: I Purchased a Hummingbird Feeder

@BlueFinch wrote:

I have feeders with built in moats, but even so, I attach a separate deeper moat to my feeders. I purchase mine from Amazon.

Seems the smaller birds like finches, think the moat is their special water source, so the shallow built in moats can go dry quickly. The instant they do, the darn ants are having a sugar party. 

This is what I do too...works like a charm....

Respected Contributor

@rms1954 you need an ant cup filled with water to deter and stop the ants otherwise you get a swarmed feeder.  You hang it above the feeder on the hook and the feeder hangs below it.  They are sold where you buy the feeders.  

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr wrote:

Is it a Hummzinger?  They're easy to clean and have a built-in moat to keep ants OUT.

Really like the Hummzinger hummingbird feeders.  Agree they are easy to clean and have a built-in moat to keep ants out.  They are Made in the USA by Aspects, Inc., as are their other bird feeders.

Respected Contributor

I put out 2 humming bird feeders in the beginning of May and still haven't got any humming birds. My wife bought them and a bottle of red nector. Does anyone know why I haven't seen any humming birds? At least I haven't seen any ants at the feeders.

Respected Contributor

I just rub a little hot sauce on the wire/string holding the feeder to the tree or whatever. Just a LITTLE bit rubbed on the holder discourages them from exploring further but don't use a lot. Just a tiny bit on the holder. Ants hate hot sauce.

Trusted Contributor

How can you keep wasps away from a hummingbird feeder?

Honored Contributor

Seems to me when Perky Pet changed from the small neck bottle to the large neck one they leak more.  So, I now have ants on the deck where it drips.  I'm getting a moat on my next Amazon order.  Looked at several feeders, but it seems most have a tendency to leak.  I want a smaller capacity one (8 - 10 oz) because in my heat no need to have a large capacity one since you need to change it out so often.  

Esteemed Contributor

Get or make an ant moat. They are fantastic.

Respected Contributor

I took mine down last summer when tiny bees decided to buzz in the holes and clog them up. I had dead bees all over the inside and the birds couldn't get to the nectar. 

It was disgusting when I went to clean it out.

Valued Contributor

@BoopOMatic  Oddly enough, I have found that non-scented coconut oil keeps them away but doesn't bother the hummers. I smear the oil all over the feeder and around (not on) the little fake flower things. I have watched the bees and they come around, sniff, and take off! :-)