Honored Contributor

I Purchased a Hummingbird Feeder

And got ants ... tons of ants and not one hummingbird.

Valued Contributor

Re: I Purchased a Hummingbird Feeder

@rms1954 wrote:

And got ants ... tons of ants and not one hummingbird.

@rms1954 Oh no... I order one from QVC but I haven't hung it up yet. I hope no ants........

Honored Contributor

Is it a Hummzinger?  They're easy to clean and have a built-in moat to keep ants OUT.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Is it a Hummzinger?  They're easy to clean and have a built-in moat to keep ants OUT.

No.  M80045 Perky Pet

Frequent Contributor

Rub liquid dish soap around the bottom of the pole and about 1 foot from the bottom  up the pole.  Don't dilute the dish soap.  Clean the feeder first before rubbing the soap on.

Honored Contributor

@rms1954 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

No.  M80045 Perky Pet

You may be stuck with ants then.  But someone may have a solution.  The Hummzinger's ant moat keeps them out; it has never failed me.  Be sure to write a review of M80045.

Respected Contributor

I have feeders with built in moats, but even so, I attach a separate deeper moat to my feeders. I purchase mine from Amazon.

Seems the smaller birds like finches, think the moat is their special water source, so the shallow built in moats can go dry quickly. The instant they do, the darn ants are having a sugar party. 

Respected Contributor

Buy an ant cup for hummingbird feeders and hang it on your chain then hang the feeder on it. Be sure to keep water in the ant cup at all times. 

The recipe for bird juice is four parts water to one part sugar. You need to boil it for a couple minutes, let cool, then put in feeder. I've heard right at the start of the season to attract the hummingbirds, you can make the solution a little bit stronger...like three or three and one half parts water to one part sugar....just make it a little sweeter to begin with. Then go back to the 4/1 ratio. 

Honored Contributor

You have to get rid of the ants before the hummingbirds will drink from the feeder.  They don't like intruders like ants and wasps.

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@rms1954 wrote:

@ValuSkr wrote:

No.  M80045 Perky Pet

You may be stuck with ants then.  But someone may have a solution.  The Hummzinger's ant moat keeps them out; it has never failed me.  Be sure to write a review of M80045.

Buy an ant guard. They go between the pole and feeder. You get no ants. Used them for years.