Respected Contributor

Re: I NEED A NEW GARDEN HOSE

We have one of those metal coil hoses, which I bought from QVC a few years ago. It got tangled the first time we used it (unpackaging it), but it's never gotten tangled since. I use it everyday to water my flowers and "lasso" it into a coil when I'm not using it. We disconnect it and leave it outside all year long, securing plastic bags over both ends to prevent bugs from nesting in it. Our rubber hoses used to rot, but this one's holding up pretty well.

Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  Please do not get a rubber hose. They are so heavy and difficult to wind up and put away. I have tried several of the green ones that shrink up, but they don't last. I have one left from a previous purchase and noticed today the oh-so-familiar bulge ready to explode. All I  buy now are the metal flexible ones. They are so lightweight and easy to handle. A contractor building across the street came over today to see if he could use our water to wash off his tools. I handed him my metal flexible hose and he said "oh, my gosh, this so great. I need to buy one".

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

5CD5FA82-C3D2-4E81-87A9-87523339E125.jpegAbout twenty years ago I had problems with new hoses left outside getting moldy and cruddy. Some were rotting. I had bought multiple hoses and spent some bucks on them. After shopping around  I bought a hose that is treated with Microban and I've never had to replace it. It's amazing. Look for a hose treated with this. The picture is just an example. They are also made in heavy duty and many brands incorporate Microban. 

Esteemed Contributor

I just ordered a new hose this year after having 2 failures from last year. I now have to take care of the patio chores (DH is not able to), so the big heavy hoses we had were too much for me. This year's purchase is perfect for me. What I learned from last year - don't order one of the cheap collapsible hoses that sell for $20 or less because they leak like crazy and do not last.

This year I ordered one from Walmart that was around $35. Sorry, but I no longer have the brand name. It's collapsible (black in color), but the key for me is that it has brass fittings instead of plastic. The brass pieces that attach to the water faucet and the sprayer that attaches to the hose are so much better and do not leak like the plastic ones. Lightweight and collapsible are a must for me. Also - anything less than 50' won't cover much territory! I have a large patio with a lot of plants and 50' is enough - we're in a town home, so I don't need to water the lawn.

Honored Contributor

In addition to what hose you purchase, be sure to store it away from winter elements. I have a 50' hose that sits inside a hose reel inside a lidded box. Suncast brand sells those storage box reels. Make sure your sprayer is also put away for the winter. I've had this hose for years & unfortunately have forgotten where I purchased it. A solid black hose I have I bought years ago from Sears -- their 'better' hose, 

Last year I replaced our hose reel which was a metal one on rubber wheels. The connection between the short hose from the faucet to the reel was shot -- leaky connection due to rust, not washer failure.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

I bought a metal hose (100 ft) from HSN last year and I LOVE IT.  They no longer have it, but they do have a 50 ft. one similar to the one I purchased.  But, walmart has a 50 ft. for about $48.00....here is a picture of it.  I will never buy another rubber hose again.  Metal for me....it's easy to handle, lightweight, does the job and never kinks.

Trusted Contributor

I like the Zero Gravity hose at Lowe's. I'm a small lady, and this hose is very lightweight, does not kink and is holding up well to our intense southern sun.  I have both the 25 and 100 ft lengths. Also available in 50 ft. No more heavy rubber hoses for me.