Honored Contributor

I NEED A NEW GARDEN HOSE

[ Edited ]

I don't know how it has happened, but I've never purchased a garden hose before.  I seem to inherit them.

Anyway, it has to be at least 25 feet, and .... what else?   Do you prefer a rubber hose .. or plastic .... or silicone?   Pros and cons?

I don't know where to begin ..........

Any and all feedback and suggestions are very welcome.   TIA! 

Honored Contributor

Re: I NEED A NEW GARDEN HOSE

There are so many available. This year I got one that expands once it is filled with water. After you are done watering, you empty the nozzle and the hose shrinks for easy storage. I'd suggest you search on Amazon for one that suits your needs.

Respected Contributor

I find that you get what you pay for.  If it's cheap, it will kink when you are trying to use it or wind it up, so if you spend more up front, it is less frustrating and worth it to me.   

Depending on how far you need it to go, would determine how long you want it,  You can always attached an extra one to lengthen it if you don't need a long one all the time.

I get mine at Lowes or Home Depot, but they sell them at Target too. 

I usually get 50' but if your yard is small, a 25' one may be OK. If I can remember the price is about $1.00 per foot for a good one.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

We just had to replace 2 garden hoses and the hose reel on Friday.

The 2 hoses were connected to one another and attached to the reel. My husband could not get the hoses disconnected from the reel. He came to the conclusion that the brass connectors should not be cheap. AND he used teflon tape with the new hoses, in hope he will be able to get the hoses apart in the future.

Good luck. Hope you have better luck than us. We seem to go through hoses every few years.

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

There are so many available. This year I got one that expands once it is filled with water. After you are done watering, you empty the nozzle and the hose shrinks for easy storage. I'd suggest you search on Amazon for one that suits your needs.

@AuntG 

That sounds interesting ... thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Look for light weight and kink free . You may pay more upfront but to me well worth the money .

Esteemed Contributor

For me, the expanding hoses weren't practical.  I need 75 ft hoses (big yard!) to reach faraway gardens.  So I screwed my sprinkler onto the end of my long expanding hose and walked to the back of my yard and set the sprinkler in place.  Then I turned to walk back to the house to turn on the water spigot.  Without water in the hose, the hose was shrinking and the sprinkler was following me back to the house.  I felt like the pied piper of sprinklers!

So, of course, I tried it one more time, and again the hose shrank up before I turned the water on.   Obviously, I was going to have to turn on the water sprinkler before I walked the hose to where I wanted it.  I just stood there and laughed at myself because who's going to turn on a sprinkler, hold on to it with water spritzing everywhere, and walk 75 ft to set it in place?  Not me.  

I returned those hoses and bought good ol' rubber.  If you're not going to use sprinklers, an expanding hose may work for you.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Frequent Contributor

I love my flexible metal garden hose I bought on Amazon!  It does not kink and is lightweight.  I just ordered a second one.  From now on, my hoses will be these.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44,

I got this one from Walmart a few years ago and I have never had a hose that I enjoy using or that has held up as well as this one.

It is lightwieght, easy to store, no tangling ever and just a pleasure

to use. Plus my grandkids have stepped on it, pulled it etc and it looks and works like new.

I don't know how there are not great reviews. Anyway it is from Walmart and about $10!I got this exact green one.Pretty green is a bonusSmiley Happy Expandable Flexible Deluxe Garden Water Hose w/ Spray Nozzle in Green (25ft) - CycloneSound

I woud totally avoid those big heavy hoses that tangle and are a chore to operate I also don't like those plastic coil type that look like slinkys. They kind of tug on you as you are watering. My mother had one of those.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 That's the one I bought last year - the lightweight shrink.....actually bought 3 - then discovered they stretch so far............only needed 2. $50 ea

Love them...........

P.S.   buy the color blue.........the green one looks like a big snake

lol